Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Firewall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Tried the Comodo Free Firewall software on my laptop after reading great reviews on it today, and 2 thing stuck out right away. One, it seemed to add 3 or 4 extra icons or actual extensions of the program on my desktop, some virtual search function, another was a test of files(?), and it also had a small window in the upper right hand of the desktop screen with a status of the program that only went away if I opened a web page. Is all of this "normal?"

Second, during the install process it asked me to allow it to make changes to DNS servers, which is a bit beyond what I know. I did read the link that said what is this? And it seemed legit, so I allowed it. Soon thereafter my son tried to use our XBox that uses our home network to connect to. He was unable to connect to the network or internet, and I believe that this in some way was related to the DNS change that Comodo asked me to change. I could be wrong, but I think it's all related. Is what I described the normal process/end result of using Comodo Firewall? I went and uninstalled it once the XBox issue became known.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

I went and uninstalled it once the XBox issue became known.

Hello -

Did this fix your problem, or do you still need a bit of help.

Comodo has been known to be just a little bit strong for some systems, and it has clashed with some other programs.

Not knowing your system, Comodo Free Firewall may not be suited to your Antivirus or some other installed security program

Regards -

#3 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Well, my son was able to restore the XBox to factory settings and reconnect before I actually uninstalled Comodo, so I can't be 100% sure it was the cause of that. Why it installed the extra icons and even programs or extensions was a bit much for me, and made me think twice about this. I'm sure it is a great program but I'm usually pretty good about NOT allowing those "extras" whenever I download/install software, but these "extras" were put on my laptop as part of the program with no options to keep them out.

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:46 AM

The extras you are describing are Geekbuddy which allows Comodo techs to remotely access your computer (but only if you activate the paid version) and the Comodo Dragon browser which is based on Chrome but has several extra security features.

There is an option during installation to customise the installer where those can be deselected, however they can both be easily uninstalled using add & remove programs.   You could also choose to disable cloud scanning which checks files not whitelisted via the internet and will block or sandbox them if they are unknown.   This feature will protect you when an antivirus program misses recent malware, so is best left enabled unless you only want a basic firewall.

James

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

There is always the option to use Windows built-in Firewall.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Tried the Comodo Free Firewall software on my laptop after reading great reviews on it today, and 2 thing stuck out right away. One, it seemed to add 3 or 4 extra icons or actual extensions of the program on my desktop, some virtual search function, another was a test of files(?), and it also had a small window in the upper right hand of the desktop screen with a status of the program that only went away if I opened a web page. Is all of this "normal?"

Second, during the install process it asked me to allow it to make changes to DNS servers, which is a bit beyond what I know. I did read the link that said what is this? And it seemed legit, so I allowed it. Soon thereafter my son tried to use our XBox that uses our home network to connect to. He was unable to connect to the network or internet, and I believe that this in some way was related to the DNS change that Comodo asked me to change. I could be wrong, but I think it's all related. Is what I described the normal process/end result of using Comodo Firewall? I went and uninstalled it once the XBox issue became known.

I think the Windows Firewall is certainly adequate. You should also remember than on a broadband connection, you are already behind the firewall in your router.  Firewall software is largely a sales pitch to sell you some "for pay" version that doesn't provide much benefit. Essentially, almost all the alerts that 3rd party firewalls pop up are just saying "Look! Look! I'm doing something! Buy me!"

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

I think the Windows Firewall is certainly adequate. You should also remember than on a broadband connection, you are already behind the firewall in your router.  Firewall software is largely a sales pitch to sell you some "for pay" version that doesn't provide much benefit. Essentially, almost all the alerts that 3rd party firewalls pop up are just saying "Look! Look! I'm doing something! Buy me!"

Presumably you are not familiar with the latest Comodo firewall program being discussed here.   It will protect you when you meet up with zero day malware not known to any antivirus database.

James

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

Presumably you are not familiar with the latest Comodo firewall program being discussed here. It will protect you when you meet up with zero day malware not known to any antivirus database.

Does that come with a 100% guarantee?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

Presumably you are not familiar with the latest Comodo firewall program being discussed here.   It will protect you when you meet up with zero day malware not known to any antivirus database.

Actually, I am, and Comodo AV and firewall doesn't do so well in testing by either VirusBulletin.com or AV Comparatives. Presumably, you aren't familiar with these sites and their product evaluations.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#10 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:16 AM

Presumably you are not familiar with the latest Comodo firewall program being discussed here. It will protect you when you meet up with zero day malware not known to any antivirus database.

Does that come with a 100% guarantee?

I think it gets very close to that, but no doubt somebody somewhere will be trying to find a way past it and maybe they will be successful.

Actually, I am, and Comodo AV and firewall doesn't do so well in testing by either VirusBulletin.com or AV Comparatives. Presumably, you aren't familiar with these sites and their product evaluations.

There are many organisations testing antivirus programs to see if a range of malware is in their databases.   However the point  I was trying to make is that with all the new malware appearing every day, any antivirus and simple firewall will not be enough to give decent protection.  

To me layered protection means having other means of defense and not cleaning up what has been allowed to infect your system.   This is what the latest Comodo firewall provides with cloud scanning, behaviour blocking and sandboxing of unknown applications.

MBAM, Superantispyware, HitmanPro and other scanners are all very good, but their main use is to clear up the mess that has got past inadequate protection.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users