Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting photos sent by email from an I-Pad so that I can save and use them

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mintizmate

mintizmate

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Both my daughter and my wife's sister regularly send me emails with photos taken on their I-Pads, which I have so far been unable to 'copy and paste' into my pictures folder. I am using Windows 7, in case this makes any difference to replies. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

I'm not at all familiar with IPad but a couple of things to consider:

Have you tried Right clicking on the image and selecting Save Picture As ?  At that point, you can see the file name.  What is the extension of the file; ie .jpg, .png, .bmp?

Are the images coming through your email as Attachments or Inserted into the body of the email itself?

Which email app \ service do you use?

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Are the files in raw format?  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format for more info.

What format/file extension is used on these photos?

Louis

#4 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

In reply to Rosie's comments. The images are coming through as part of the email and not as an attachment. My email comes through Microsoft Office Outlook. It is not possible for me to right click and save as this option is not avaialble. Copy appears to be available but when I use this it is not possible to Paste as this option is grayed out when I try to use it in Pictures.

In  reply to Louis. The file format is not shown and I have been unable to find out what it is. It is almost certainly an Apple format as the images are being sent from an I-Pad.

Bob

#5 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

In Win7, when you R/click on the picture, you should get a drop down menu, in that menu, L/click on "view image info" and you should get a window that tells you the file type, size, etc.

In that window L/click "save as", and select where you want to save it.

PS. Also in that same drop down menu, there should be a "save image as" command that should work the same way.

Edited by GB2064, 16 July 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#6 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Sorry guys but in the case of these pictures, sent from an IPad when a left click is performed the menu that appewars is as follows - - Cut (Greyed Out) - - Copy (This is Bold, but even if used it is not possible to paste into Pictures etc.) - - Edit Picture (Greyed Out) - - Hyperlinkj (Greyed Out) - - Insert Caption (Greyed Out) - - Borders & Shading (Greyed Out) - - Picture (Greyed Out)

Bob

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

You should be able to right click and save even an imbedded image. Strange.

Anyway, an alternative way would be for them to use PhotoStream in iCloud. If all of you have an iCloud account (if not they can create one), then they can share the pictures with you using Photostream (assuming they are using iOS 6 on their iPads). If you then have the iCloud Control Panel installed on your Windows 7 computer, then those pictures will automatically be downloaded to a place in your Pictures folder (I believe).

There are other similar types of "cloud" ways such as Dropbox that will have varying levels of "ease".

#8 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

smax013

You got me thinking, would they also be able to share their photos the same way using Photobucket?

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

smax013
You got me thinking, would they also be able to share their photos the same way using Photobucket?

I would assume so. There is a Photobucket app for the iPhone/iPad.

Like I said, there are a number of "cloud" type solutions.

Edited by smax013, 19 July 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#10 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks!

#11 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

Thanks for your ideas guys. Will try them out

#12 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Both my daughter and my wife's sister regularly send me emails with photos taken on their I-Pads, which I have so far been unable to 'copy and paste' into my pictures folder. I am using Windows 7, in case this makes any difference to replies. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

OK i want to answer the orginal post because you mentioned copy and paste into a folder. 

When images are sent via email, you must download the image and then save it to your pictures folder.  You cannot copy and paste any type of file directly into a folder. 

The image has to be opened (with any number of programs such as Windows Picture Viewer or a photo-editing software such as Paint or Gimp). 

Usually, depending on your email program, you will see buttons next to the picture that say either View/Download/Save, etc.  You can also open/download by simply double clicking the image, and it should open for viewing with your default program.  From there, you tell it to save and where...

Once it opens, you simply save it to your destination. 

From there you can organize and also upload the image to sites that host files and create slideshows. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users