Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C: drive Continually Filling - DIDServiceLog.txt, DMAgent.dmp

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 pepperedme

pepperedme

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hello - I'm not sure if this is a virus or a setting gone crazy.

I've noticed that my hard drive is constantly on the brink of full - I'll move files over to my external drive, only to get the warning that my disk is almost full. 

I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad X230i running Windows 7 Enterprise.  I have 277 GB of space - at the moment, 273 GB is full.  I've run a complete scan using SUPERAntiSpyware in normal Windows and Safe mode, with nothing detected (well, except tracking cookies), Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool in safe mode with nothing, and am currently running a scan of Malwarebyte's Anti-malware in normal Windows, but nothing popped up yet.

I downloaded JDiskReport to see what is taking up the most space on my harddrive, and it's a collection of files that lives here: C:\Program Files\Intel\WRT\Plugins\WiFiPlugin\CollectedData.  This folder is 162.4 GB. 

Within the CollectedData folder are many, many subfolders names using the date, some numbers, and INIT (ex: 07-15-2013--08-26-14.76--INIT).  Within those folders are four files: DIDServiceLog.txt (39.5MB), DID_Init.txt (2 KB), RegistryBackup.txt (1 KB), and DumperLog.txt (1 KB).  A quick Google search found nothing useful (to me) related to these file names. 

There is another substantial folder that is taking up 21.4 GB of space: C:\Program Files\Intel\WiMaX\Bin.  Within THIS folder, there are many more files, including many with names like "DMAgentXX.dmp" where XX is a number. 

Can I safely delete these files?  Will they keep coming back?  Google has been strangly unhelpful in this situation.  This is a University laptop for work, but I would like to avoid the HelpDesk for as long as possible.

I did run the Windows Cleanup utility, and selected to deleted everything, but it's full again. 

I'm not sure if this is related, but sometime last week, I noticed that I continually see the Windows Backup flag in the notifications area - when I hover over it, it says "Backup in Progress" - but when I click on it, there is nothing in process. 

In my haste to post I forgot to say - any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  Thanks in advance for any assistance.  :)

***Update**** Last night, after Malwarebytes Anti-malware finished, It came up with "pum.hijack.drives" which I removed - after a rescan, nothing showed. Malwarebyte's Anti-rootkit turned up nothing. I have the logs for both scans if needed. 

Another odd thing, that I'm not sure if it's related or not, there is now a D:\ where I normally just have a C:\. This mysterious D:\ (called Testing D:) requires administrator privileges, which I have everywhere else on the computer... except there. It says that the D drive has 20.2 GB of space, 6.48 GB free. Whether these are related or not, I can't say. I do have to admit to being a little embarrassed about this... normally I can find the fix if needed - but I'm stumped. 

Edited by pepperedme, 16 July 2013 - 06:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

OP receiving assistance at http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/331738-harddrive-filling-up-pumhijackdrives-involved/ .

Closing this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users