Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are my Drivers up-to-date ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

I use Windows XP Home which I have had since about 2004.

I saw this -  http://driverfinderpro.com/ - and thought it a good idea to check my drivers and update them if necessary. This I did and  found 9 drivers listed which were outdated.

There is a button that when clicked all the outdated drivers are updated to the latest versions like magic. But not being born yesterday and with everything working smoothly, I asked myself " Why fix something that is working OK ?" and "So I get a brand new set of updated drivers and  then nothing works, what happens next ?". So I have done nothing yet.

I am asking some knowledgeable geek at BC for advice on whether to jump or not, bearing in mind that open door to the far blue yonder looks rather uninviting.

Here is a screenshot of the magic box :-

Driverscan150713_zps3da85454.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Most of us here are of the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it mindset'. Unless you have specific operational issues requiring driver update I wouldn't touch it. I have seen and dealt with more issues related to 'newer is better' and breaking completely functional equipment wanting the latest and greatest drivers.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Most of us here are of the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it mindset'. Unless you have specific operational issues requiring driver update I wouldn't touch it. I have seen and dealt with more issues related to 'newer is better' and breaking completely functional equipment wanting the latest and greatest drivers.

A million thanks my highly respected Guru and  fountain  of all knowledge.

What more can I say when you go and quote the engineers sacred motto - "If it `ain't broke, don't fix it" ?

Yabba    :bounce:

Edited by yabbadoo, 15 July 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

You're most welcome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users