Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:26 PM

I was looking around on newegg, and decided to look at some processors, but some of the acronyms and numbers that are in the product info, or even the name for that matter, are completely new to me. Here is a link of what i am looking at just as an example, im not saying that im going to buy this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103535 I just have a couple questions.

1. What is HT, It says something about 1GHz HT. What is this? What does it do for my computer?

2. Another question that i have has to do with 64 bit processing, What does the 64 bit reffer to? Is this the size of the main bus sending information in to the processor? Or is it the amount of information it can handle at one time? OR something completely different?

3.My last question. I am planning on eventually getting an AMD processor whenever i get the money to build a computer. I dont kno if this is going to be anytime soon but if it is, my question is; Should i go ahead and by a processor useing a current socket type or wait untill AMD releases their new socket type? Will i still be able to get products that support the old socket type for a while after the release of the new one?

Sorry for all of the dumb questions. Thanks for any replies : D!

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:20 PM

I'm running an AMD 64 3000+. HT is Hyper Transport. (Probably quite similar to Intel's Hyperthreading?) Mine runs at about 1.8ghz, and that's no longer a good measure of speed - I think it's comparable to a P4 3.0 in performance, while being a heck of a lot cheaper and runs cooler. "HyperTransport™ technology can increase overall system performance by removing I/O bottlenecks, increasing system bandwidth, and reducing system latency."

More info.

64 bits means it will handle 64-bit applications. It will also run 32-bit applications a bit faster. There aren't a whole lot of 64-bit things out there, but MS has a 64-bit version of XP. (You can still run the regular version!)

The 939 should be around for a while. I don't get crazy about really new technology until it's proven. (Rambus is a good example of this - super expensive, not very popular, and new memory technologies have passed it by with cheaper prices.)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:35 PM

Here's a link that will take you to a detailed explanation of 32 bit vs 64 bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:09 AM

I remember back a while ago someone here quoted this:

"A 32 bit processor is like a room with 1000 people and 32 doors.
You want to get everyone out of the room as fast as possible,
so you make them run faster (increase the clock speed).
A 64 bit processor is like the same room with the same people,
but with 64 doors. Even if they run at the same speed,
they will get out faster, because there's twice as many exits."

...which basically means the processor can utilize itself better.

-Nick

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:48 AM

Good analogy.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for all the help : D. I just had one more question. Sorry.

Is there usually a major difference between two processors of the same make but with different cores?

Thanks for all of the help.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users