Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home network question.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hi everybody,

I have several questions regarding my home network, and I have virtually no experience servicing networks, so please forgive my ignorance asking these questions.  :) 

I currently have a Motorola SB5101 modem attached to a D-Link DIR-655 router.  My Internet provider is Comcast.  Recently I have been experiencing numerous disconnects and modem reboots, thus, I am considering purchasing a new modem.  Specifically, I am considering an ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.  My questions are as follows:

My network consists of three laptops, one wireless desktop, three cell phones, and a wireless printer.  When I replace the modem, will I have to manually add all these devices to the network again, or is there a way to save the settings?

As long as I am replacing the modem with a new one, would it be advisable to upgrade the router as well?

Thanks in advance,

George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hi everybody,

I have several questions regarding my home network, and I have virtually no experience servicing networks, so please forgive my ignorance asking these questions.  :) 

I currently have a Motorola SB5101 modem attached to a D-Link DIR-655 router.  My Internet provider is Comcast.  Recently I have been experiencing numerous disconnects and modem reboots, thus, I am considering purchasing a new modem.  Specifically, I am considering an ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.  My questions are as follows:

My network consists of three laptops, one wireless desktop, three cell phones, and a wireless printer.  When I replace the modem, will I have to manually add all these devices to the network again, or is there a way to save the settings?

As long as I am replacing the modem with a new one, would it be advisable to upgrade the router as well?

Thanks in advance,

George

If you are only replacing the modem, but keeping the router, then you should not need to add all your devices again since they are connected to the router, not the modem (so to speak).

If you decide to get a new router as well, then you might need to add them all again depending on how you set the new router up. If you set the new router up to use the same subnet settings and use the same WiFi SSID, password, and encryption method, then in theory, all your new device should automatically connect since they are likely set to remember the SSID and password for the existing WiFi network. The only possible wrinkle would be if you are using MAC filtering and want to continue using MAC filtering.

Just out of curiosity, what have you done to try to diagnose your current setup? Have you talked to Comcast to see if it might be something on their end? The point is to make sure that you have basically exhausted your other possible issues otherwise you might buy a new modem and still have the same problems if it was something OTHER than the modem.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Having been with Comcast for over 15 years when they started as @Home here in my area. And all the subsequent acquisitions by others until it became Comcast I can share my piddling home network knowledge. We have 3 wired desktops, 3 wireless laptops, 3 tablets and 4 smartphones. In all the years of upgrading I have never had to 'manually' add a device. I've been through roughly 4 modems and 5 routers. Only two of which were hardware failures. All others were performance or hardware upgrades just because.

So I'm not sure what you mean by adding a device manually? If you upgrade your modem it will be plug and play. Is your current router DOCSIS 3.0 compliant? If it isn't then the point of having a new modem is sorta wasted.

Just be sure and follow the 'Turn off and Turn on' protocol and everything should be recognized. In a home network you should always turn things off from the end user working towards the source i.e Device > Router > Modem. To turn things on you start at source i.e modem wait for it to self check and stabilize > Router > Device. Making sure each piece of hardware has gone through it's start up procedure before moving to the next device in the sequence.

If I've missed your point I apologize, and would be happy to work with you to share what I know about home networking. I'm no guru but I can make one work.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

Hi guys,

First, thanks for your input on this.  I really appreciate it. :)   To answer your questions:

Just out of curiosity, what have you done to try to diagnose your current setup? Have you talked to Comcast to see if it might be something on their end?

I have talked to Comcast and they report no problems.  The problem on my end is that the outage is so sudden and short-lived; I have no real way of troubleshooting it.  By the time I go to my office where the modem is located, I see that it is in the process of rebooting.  After that, everything works well for one or two days.  This has been happening for several months.

Is your current router DOCSIS 3.0 compliant?  If it isn't then the point of having a new modem is sorta wasted.

No, from the research I have done it appears that my current modem is DOCSIS 2.0.  I could be wrong.

Anyway, as long as there will be no need to add all my devices again, I feel somewhat better about replacing the modem. 

Thanks again for your assistance, and thank you Animal for your kind offer.  I may just accept your offer if I need additional assistance. :thumbup2:

George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users