Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to computers,any suggestions where to begin?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

In a way Im glad I began my journey into the wonderful world of computers( 5 wks ago) by having my toolbar and search engines hijacked and getting infected with malicious software which brought me here to BC!Now that Quietman has helped me to resolve ALL those problems I still am but a novice that would love to learn how to use a computer,I have Windows XP and would appreciate any suggestions someone may offer as to where to go for a computer 101 course?Is this something I can do online for FREE,should I enquire at local high schools for FREE adult classes or does BC have anyone that can offer basic information"HOW TO GET STARTED"?You all sound like geniuses speaking in a foreign language to me and I am biting at the bit to learn!I am from the land of paper & pencil,go to the library and only recently learned how to send text messages on my cell phone(lol)...I still cannot believe that Quietman had the patience to take me STEP by STEP to uninstall harmful entities on my computer,especially as I did not even know how to go into my Control Panel barely being able to navigate the mouse!!!!!I love you all at BC!Any and all suggestions will be appreciated......newbleeping

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hi newbleeping, welcome

The world of technology can indeed appear to be daunting. However, take a deep breath, and rest assured you can achieve the ability to utilize your machine to the fullest. It is a learning process that requires a fundamental knowledge of basic computing 101.

You can surely utilize the Library as a resource. But now you can connect to the internet where a wealth of information is at your disposal !!

There are also useful video tutorials that show you step by step. In addition there are teach yourself visually books that you can purchase if you desire.

Here is a website to get started: http://www.ehow.com/how_7700622_basic-steps-learning-use-computer.html

Additionally there will be other informational sites that you can select for 'How To' subjects. Plus you can always post in this forum and help will be provided.

Good Luck

Regards.....................

#3 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

Dear Sikntired,Thank you so much for your "ehow.com"reference,I will certainly begin there,I am so leery of clicking on anything after all I have been through with these awful malicious companies out there and feel very confident in first turning to BC for direction!!!!Again,thank you for taking the time to encourage me to dare enter into this new and exciting world where there is so much knowledge available with just a "click"!I do believe it is best I get familiar with my computer before diving into anymore tasks,I sure could use a break from all this technical stuff and now that nothing harmful is threatening my computer or its security I can now move along at my own pace.Have a wonderful day.....Respectfully,newbleeping P.S.I even changed my password today by following BCs tuturial now that all security issues have been resolved,BC is the best!

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

Bleeping Computer has a tutorial section. It contains a lot of useful information. Even though I've been using a computer since 2001 I find things in the tutorials that I did not know about.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/

One thing I did when I got my first computer was spend about 3 months getting to know about it. I would see something, wonder what it was and start clicking. It's a wonder that none of my clicking borked anything.
My one hang up at first was downloading and installing programs. I was afraid that if I downloaded/installed anything I would blow the computer up.

My best advice: Ask questions. Don't be afraid that the questions are stupid because if you don't know they will not be dumb, stupid questions. All of us were new to computers at one time and had questions.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

My favorite old saying is "The computer works for me, I don''t work for the computer." I never knew how to maintain/sustain a system until 2009.  I just knew how to run the crap out of them. but once my power supply went out back then I knew that i had to work to maintain the system, which isn't such a bad thing anymore.

I have since learned alot about PCs like graphics cards and power supplies , RAM, extra hard drive installs , Dust Bunny and heat prevention , OS installs etc. right here at BC!

I guess the big thing is keeping your PC  from getting infected. If it gets infected, not alot means anything until you get your PC recovered.. always keep in mind that a full recovery could be right around the corner and research common perilous activities that infect PCs

I still marvel at the whole laptop/desktop debate. a desktop can have its hardware maintained/sustained/upgraded. But the laptop user is fresh out of luck in the hardware department most of the time.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

Dear Queen-Evie,You are so right about the wonderful tutorial section here at BC,earlier today I followed its step by step instructions on how to change my password(thought it was a good idea now that my security and malicious software issues have been resolved).I am going to do just as you did and really take my time in getting to know my computer and click on everything for information! I am petrified to download ANYTHING without checking with y'all at BC first after the "Conduit"nightmare I had!!!!!Thanks so much for your words of encouragement.At this time Im really trying to understand the whole "files& folders"thing eg;how to find them,put stuff in them,save,move etc...seems I am accessing them by trial & error but not having any clue as to "how I just did that!"(lol)...Have a beautiful day & thanks again for re-affirming the fact that everyone has to start somewhere.....I figure since your'e from Alabama you are familiar with my Florida "y'all" expression.......Thanks,again-newbleeping

#7 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

Note to Synergy513, Great advice!!!!The MOST important thing is to prevent infection and I am very apprehensive to do anything without first consulting with the team at BC and trying to read and comprehend all the warnings about all the FAKES out there!!!!It sounds like it is a good thing I am starting out with a desktop and not a laptop until I better know more about computers.As far as all you have learned here at BC(sounds like Greek to me)but thank you for sharing your experience with me, another confirmation that BC IS THE BEST!!!!!!Your input is greatly appreciated.....newbleeping

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

y'all is a word I use a lot.

Regarding downloads: When you install a program do NOT go blindly through the install screens. Programs tend to have a lot of extra junk bundled into them. You don't want the junk. Look closely and if there is anything extra, uncheck if already checked.

I learned this early on, after I installed a program I wanted and ended with a toolbar, some type of "security" system and a bunch of other stupid things.

Sometimes they will ask if you want to make Bing your default search or do you want your homepage to be changed to something else.

As the saying goes JUST SAY NO!!! to it.

#9 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

Dear QueenEvie,Y'all said a mouthful"JUST SAY NO"!I too,learned this the first week I got my computer by letting my friends 15yr old"computer genius" use my computer...that was my first mistake,I will NEVER allow anyone to use my computer.Turned out "the genius"knows less than me!!!!!!She downloaded"FreeRide"which is search.conduit(hijacker)amongst other "free"come ons which also infected me with Babylon and all kinds of nonsense! So your words are very wise,I just decided until I know what I am doing I say "no" to everything, unless I get the ok from my heroes at BC!But honestly,right now I found gcflearnfree.org which promotes nothing to purchase or download and simply provides some computer basics literature and videos....Glad you can appreciate"y'all"(lol)....I do thank you for your concern and sharing your knowledge with me........have a blessed day,newbleeping

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

I found this post very interesting because it sure brings back memories on how I learned computers and I'm glad I have joined bleepingcomputer

newbleeping, maybe it would be a good idea for you to assign a strong password for your user account so no one else can just use it

When someone else wants to use your computer have a password protected limited account available for them. It won't be a cure all but it will limit them on what they can do.

You could assign a Guest account if you want

Refer to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/usercpl_overview.mspx?mfr=true

I'm certainly no expert but there is plenty of expert help as you found out here on bleepingcomputer

--- I also have XP Pro and it still runs as good as new

--- Naturally it doesn't run as fast as today's new computers, but for my simple needs, I'm fine with it

I'd like to add that I do help my friends when I can but my 1st requirement is that if they don't have proper protection for their computers or don't want to bother with doing so, I refuse to help them.

--- Then of course I will help them with the issue at hand

--- Why? Because when I had bought my very first computer it didn't take long for my computer to get infected

#11 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Dear cmptrgy,Thanks for your input,I laughed just to think of how many people there must be that have gotten infected due to the lack of knowledge when first learning...It is very thoughtful of you to let me know that you can remember just starting out.I am so grateful that I didnt have to go through Tom,Dick and Harry before I was referred to BC,actually Microsoft is the first place I looked for help and they highly recommended this as their top choice!I love your suggestion and appreciate the external link you have provided for me to explore the idea of setting up a Guest Account(with LIMITED access),I am going to read about it and get to learn another thing my computer can do!Its great because although I do not have to worry about anyone using my computer without my knowledge(the joys of living alone)but I hate to say"no"to good friends that ask to go on.I am just wondering what you meant by "PROPER" protection,I have Microsoft Security Essentials and have set my updates as AUTOMATIC so I do not have to worry about them ...in your opinion is my protection sufficient?My use for the computer is also as simple as it gets,it spares me the trip to the library and stacks of books! Have a wonderful day!......newbleeping

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Wanting to understand what proper protection means is an excellent approach

--- Proper protection means different programs for different people but it comes down to what you find out works for you & how you handle it

--- You can refer to BC's Antivirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum

In my case I also use Microsoft Security Essentials and I have it run a quick scan at 5 AM every morning

--- Then I use Malwarebytes Free as a second opinion program once a month

--- https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

On or about the weekend before the second Tuesday of the month (which is called Patch Tuesday) I run the following

--- Disk cleanup

--- I do a search for *.tmp and delete all that will delete. Sometimes one or two may not delete because the applicable program is in use

--- I go into Internet Options & delete browsing history with delete browsing history checked

----- On that same page, click settings I set Days to keep pages in history to 5 

Back to the Internet Properties dialog box, check on the Privacy Tab, click on the Advanced Tab

--- I have the following items checked: override automatic cookie handling, accept first party cookies, block third party cookies & allow session cookies

--- I run SpywareBlaster http://www.filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/

--- I run CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Note: Registry cleaners are not usually recommended. In my case I started using Ccleaner before I was aware of that but it’s a habit of mine from back then. The problem with registry cleaners is that many people try to use one to fix their computers but that can lead to problems. I believe this subject is covered in BC's Antivirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum. The reason I still include it in my maintenance schedule is because I like seeing the registry list so nice and clean; it wasn’t at first but it has been for years now

Make sure your Windows Updates are always up to date each month

A little off topic here but do you know that Microsoft discontinues support for XP in April 2014?

--- If you want to keep your XP going, it would be a good idea to completely back up your system onto an external hard drive because if something happens I'm not sure will be able to recall all of the Microsoft updates

I hope this helps

#13 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Should I address you as Larry?Well,my friends all call me Kwik! I'm so glad you you shared with me what you are using,its so funny because you will be happy to know you really sparked my concern by speaking of"proper protection"so immediately I posted Quietman who helped me in resolving all my malware issues etc(so ,of course I respect his expertise)& he gave me lots of links to read(& then I really believed one minute without"proper"is TOO LONG!!!!So I'm glad to know you suggested the same..Yesterday I spent hours on this,I installed SuperAnti Spyware(removed 361 threats!),Malwarebytes(removed 15)and also am using SpywareBlaster& WinPatrol,,,I have MicroSecEss set for full scan once a week & you say you do a quick scan everyday,should I also?Don't 4get I'm pretty computer iliterare so pardon my ignorance but I don't know what a ".tmp search" means and I'm completely lost with the "Internet Options browsing History",Iv'e only sat in front of a computer for the first time but 5wks ago(lol)!I'm a pretty quick learner though and very willing...My only experience has been removing programs,installing anti this &that and following step by step instructions how to regain my toolbar,search engines,homepage and all that kind of stuff,,lol,now I have to learn how to use the computer-I'm just getting good with the mouse!!!!!And YES,your sharing your knowledge helps tremendously,,,,,Thanks again,Kwik

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

FYI, what Super Anti Spyware usually finds are cookies which are not actually threats. Malware Bytes does not detect cookies.

#15 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Should I address you as Larry?Well,my friends all call me Kwik! I'm so glad you you shared with me what you are using,its so funny because you will be happy to know you really sparked my concern by speaking of"proper protection"so immediately I posted Quietman who helped me in resolving all my malware issues etc(so ,of course I respect his expertise)& he gave me lots of links to read(& then I really believed one minute without"proper"is TOO LONG!!!!So I'm glad to know you suggested the same..Yesterday I spent hours on this,I installed SuperAnti Spyware(removed 361 threats!),Malwarebytes(removed 15)and also am using SpywareBlaster& WinPatrol,,,I have MicroSecEss set for full scan once a week & you say you do a quick scan everyday,should I also?Don't 4get I'm pretty computer iliterare so pardon my ignorance but I don't know what a ".tmp search" means and I'm completely lost with the "Internet Options browsing History",Iv'e only sat in front of a computer for the first time but 5wks ago(lol)!I'm a pretty quick learner though and very willing...My only experience has been removing programs,installing anti this &that and following step by step instructions how to regain my toolbar,search engines,homepage and all that kind of stuff,,lol,now I have to learn how to use the computer-I'm just getting good with the mouse!!!!!And YES,your sharing your knowledge helps tremendously,,,,,Thanks again,Kwik

A ".tmp search" is a search for any files which have the tmp file extension (I understand this may be a big confusion so I'll try to explain in a way which should be easier to understand). A file extension just tells you what type the file is, so .exe is an executable file and so on. Tmp file extension is a temporary file which is normally deleted after use, unless you have a lot of tmp files then I wouldn't suggest to delete them as they can have data which a program needs. Browsing history is any sites you have visited (like bleepingcomputer :)) are saved in browsing history. This means you can go through your history and go to a site which you have visited before, but which you may have forgotten the name or address. Overtime this can build up, and so it is good to delete it.

Every so often (like once a month), I suggest you run disk defragmenter by searching it via the Windows logo and then "search programs and files". This will keep your hard drive less cluttered and increase speed (a fragmented hard drive can be a slow one).

If you have any questions about what I have said (or anything else), please ask and another member or I will answer.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 18 July 2013 - 10:34 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users