Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not booting - power source or motherboard problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shindb81

shindb81

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hi.
My monitor would not get any signal from the PC, and I'm not quite sure what the problem is.
When I hit the power button to boot it up, I hear the usual noise from the PC, but I don't hear the usual *beep* from it.
The USB keyboard and mouse are also not being powered, so I thought maybe it's the power source, but then, when I open up the PC, the case fan and the CPU fans are running.
My case has a reset button, and it doesn't do anything either. (I usually would hear the computer rebooting when I press it while it's on.)
Would it still be a power source issue, or motherboard issue?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

no beep means no power-on-self-test (POST). BIOS loading and/or POST beeps is the first steps in a boot-up,if it isn't making it to BIOS or POST then it needs to be tested. it could be alot of things. chances are the Motherboard if the fans are running. but that is just a hunch, other members would probably know more. I just read some info about BIOS resetting whereas the CMOS battery is removed and MOBO connections are jumped together for a certain time. i think the terminals are marked cmos/clr or something like that. browse some recent BC topics ...the info is provided.

Give info about your make/model of PC and any variable events that lead to this malfunction.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 shindb81

shindb81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thanks.

Ivy Bridge 3570k
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
ZALMAN CNPS5X Performa 92mm FSB CPU cooler
MSI Ravager IN-623 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ECS Z77H2-A2X DELUXE(1.0) LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100355OCL Radeon HD 7850 2GB
Coolmax 1200W ATX12V v2.3 /EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified

I think that's all the core parts.

I read the motherboard instruction on clearing the CMOS, and followed it (switching the jumper), but no go.

Last night, it was working. I left it on for the night, and in the morning, black screen.

Yeah..it's also my hunch that it's the motherboard...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users