Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager and Process Explorer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 battlecrab

battlecrab

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

I read the tutorial on Task Manager by Lawrence Abrams, a very good tutorial. I have questions:

When in Task Manager or if I'm running Process Explorer and happen to have Torch up, I notice multiple listings on either one of these tools for torch.exe. Is this suppose to be and if so why? If its not suppose to happen what makes it happen and what can I do?

When I right click on Process Name in Task Manager I don't get a properties choice in the pop up box. I'm running windows xp sp3 media center edition 2002.

Where can I learn more about processes?

Thanks for any help.

battlecrab

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Torch Browser is based on the Chromium technology platform. When using Chrome there are multiple copies of chrome.exe which show in task manager. This is intentional by designed as a crash control. Each tab is treated as it's own individual process for the life of the tab...meaning it is treated as a separate process so that multiple tabs can run with less problems. In the event of a browser crash or hand in one tab, this feature prevents the entire browser from closing down. I have never used Torch but since it is based on Google Chrome, I suspect torch.exe is performing the same function.

Most of the processes in Windows Task Manager will be legitimate as shown in these links.Windows Task Manager does not provide enough information so I prefer to use third party tools such as Process Explorer to investigate running processes, programs that run at startup, and services. System Explorer - System Explorer Portable is another good alternative. It provides a security check of running processing using their online security database when you first launch the program. Just press the Security Scan tab at the top, then click Start Security Check. After the check you can click the link to See the results of the security check >>. Keep in mind, that the check is not a guarantee of what is or is not detected as malware.

You can also perform searches on the following databases::
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 battlecrab

battlecrab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Thanks so much. I'll check out the databases you have sent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif