Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-Microsoft Programs Won't Open Until Reboot.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 garrett122491

garrett122491

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Alright, this isn't this big of a deal in my mind, but my employer is really on me to figure this out. Every now and then when we boot up our computer in our engraving room I can open Microsoft Programs(IE, Word, Outlook), but not any other programs that we normally use on this machine.

I had done some previous research on this, and found people saying it might be a disk error or a corrupt system file. I ran both chkdsk and sfcscan, and even did a repair with the install disk, but the issue still resurfaces.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex 3010 running 64-bit Windows 7.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Edit: This issue only comes up once or twice every couple days so it might be hard to know right away if the issue is resolved.

Edited by garrett122491, 15 July 2013 - 08:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

Hello,

You might want to go into more detail so that we get a better idea of what is wrong or going on.

Take us through the steps you're following and what the results are vs what is expected.

The more you can tell us the better your chance of getting a helpful reply.

Regards,

Zen

#3 garrett122491

garrett122491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

I am not exactly sure what more I can tell. The issue occurs randomly.

When the computer is booted up and logged in, I can open any microsoft program without any problem. I cannot open any other programs. When I double click an icon or the desktop or click on it in the start menu nothing opens. It shows up in Task Manager, but it never uses any CPU usage after the first couple seconds. There are no visable error messages.

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Okay, that's a start. If you use "run" or open a command prompt window, cmd, and type in the applications executable manually what happens?

If you open the command prompt with a right "click" and select "run as administrator" and do the above again what happens?

Do you have Anti-Virus protection on this system and if so what vendor/package is it? (I've seen program blockers from AV do this in the past by mistake.)

When this first started happening was anything changed, added, removed? (Windows update, or AV updates for example?)

#5 garrett122491

garrett122491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

I the machine isn't available right now so I'll try opening via command prompt in a bit when I can use it. The computer is running Symantec Endpoint Protection. Its been happening since we put the computer in there so it could be caused by any of the software installed.

I have also tried right clicking the programs and selecting run as administrator as well, and that didn't work.

#6 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

That's fine, the hope is that someone who looks at this thread will be able to chime in if they've seen this issue before based on the feedback you provide. (Think of it as taking your car to a mechanic noting it makes a funny noise once in a while...we need to hear the noise and try to see what's causing it second.)

The reason I want you to do this from the command line, both as a user and then as admin, is to see if any thing is written to the command prompt screen when you try to run and it fails.

BTW: Does this happen with any one who logs in or just one account? (Some places just use one login ID and share it...)

I believe SEP does block applications but I haven't used it in over 5 years. It could be as simple as that for some reason SEP is blocking all untrusted applications. A check of it's log or settings can help verify that. Have a look here to see if that helps; "https://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH97618"

#7 garrett122491

garrett122491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Alright. I'll check all of these things and post the results when I know more.

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Since there are no UAC challenges this may be suggestive of a compatibility issue. The Task Manager shows the process with no CPU usage could be indicative of needing to run 'Compatibility Mode'.

Just a thought.

#9 garrett122491

garrett122491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

But the program runs fine after a reboot and its not just one program.

#10 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Any luck with the testing?

#11 garrett122491

garrett122491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

The issue hasn't returned yet. :/ So I haven't been able to test it with the issue happening. It usually occurs every 3 or 4 days.

#12 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

NP. I'd rather you answer all the questions and tests before we proceed with anything anyway. If this only happens with one account it would be easy(ier) to fix than if it happens with multi-accounts.

#13 garrett122491

garrett122491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

I am not sure if it happens with just one. Typically there is only one person who uses the machine. Next time it happens I'll log him out and log in and see if we still have the same problem.

#14 garrett122491

garrett122491
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

So the issue has happened again. I just went through and tried the things you wanted me to try. The issue occurs on all accounts as far as I can tell. I logged into my account and the programs still wouldn't open. Running the program from command prompt showed no errors in both administrator and local account.

What I am working on right now, which might be the problem was the firewall on SEP was not working properly. It said due to corrupted files. I uninstalled the program and now I am having a hell of a time getting it reinstalled.

#15 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

That would be great. As this is a production machine used for business, rather than a personal machine at home, we don't want it down or damaged further. Testing accounts will help us see if this is a system issue or a users profile issue. If it's a single users account then we can backup and delete the profile and they can login again and create a new one. (Generally they lose personal settings and shortcuts but programs and shortcuts for all will remain.)

As this is a Win 7 system please make sure you make a backup image and recovery disk just in case. This will allow you to completely restore/replace the OS in case something happens. Depending on how large the OS and applications are this could be anywhere from 10GB to 50GB on average. So saving it to an external USB drive, Blu-Ray disk, or DVD is good. (This can take some time depending on size and which device you backup to so do it at the end of the day.)

Please see " How to create a Windows system image in Windows 7 and Windows 8"; "http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/"

and/or "How to create a Windows System Repair Disc"; "http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-a-windows-system-repair-disc/"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users