Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Windows 7 take IE10?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

This past week a friend had major problems with his Windows 7 computer which is only 2 1/2 years old and he called me and told me the following information

--- On Friday, he couldn't run his Norton 360 because of some corruption issue and it had error codes 8504 & 104

------ On Friday evening he ran Malwarebytes and it ran overnight for 13 hours plus and it was still scanning. It wasn't reporting any infections during that time period

--- On Saturday moring he reset his computer back to its factory restore settings with help from HP, so the good news is his computer is as good as new and he hasn't lost any data

--- When the computer was restored it used IE8 and then through all of the updates he had to do, IE8 was automatically updated to IE9

--- Since the technician was still on the phone with him, he asked the technician whether or not he should upgrade to IE10

--- The technician told him that Windows 7 doesn't work with IE10

Since I was curious about that answer I googled the issue and it appears to me that Windows 7 does work with IE10 

--- Personally I feel my friend should stay with IE9 unless there's a compelling reason to update to IE10

I have 2 questions

1. Does Windows 7 work with IE10?

--- Why do I ask? Because some websites I found are ambiguous on the issue and I have no idea of what is being discussed other than problems with IE10

2. If Windows 7 does work with IE10, is it just a matter of time that IE10 will be automatically updated through Windows Updates?

--- My friend has his computer set for Automatic Updates

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:53 AM

In answer to your first question, yes Windows 7 does support IE10. However after having said that there have been numerous instances of users complaining about issues after having updated to IE10 and eventually rolled-back to IE9.

Personally, I have not upgraded to IE10 because there still seems to be some issues. Eventually this will be sorted out by Microsoft. I prefer to wait until all of the 'bugs' have been tweaked.

Secondly, you have the option to allow updates or not.

Hope this answers your concerns

Regards..........................

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

There is a security issue with IE 10 which Microsoft has produced an accumulative update to address this issue.  If you are going to use IE 10 you will want to download this update.

Download Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 7 (KB2817183) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for your answers. I agree with all of your inputs

#5 abz2910

abz2910

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:59 AM

I have upgraded to IE10 in Windows 7 x64 and haven't noticed any problems with it when opening websites. It's a bit harder to open webpages from CD or documents in IE10 than IE9, but IE10 can be made to run in IE9 and IE8 mode by pressing F12 and changing 'Browser Mode' to the desired setting, so I haven'y had any major problems getting around this.

I've also noticed that IE10 is visually very similar to IE9 but runs a lot faster :)

Also, IE9 was upgraded to IE10 through windows automatic updates for me

Edited by abz2910, 22 July 2013 - 05:00 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:16 AM

I.E. 10 seems to run much better on 64bit systems than 32bit systems (just observations)

Please see the linked topic where we attempt to show how to go back to I.E. 9 -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500506/win-7-internet-explorer-flashes-up-then-goes-away/#entry3101098

Thanks -

#7 NorthernScally

NorthernScally

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

I believe it only runs if you have SP1 installed

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

NorthernScally is correct, you need to have SP1.  You should have it regardless as the updates improve its performance and security.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users