Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP3 Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Of Florida

Tim Of Florida

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

Good day all !! clear.png Let me start by refreshing your memory of my system....
> Dell E520 (All drivers updated)
> O.S. Windows XP SP3
>Ram 4 gigs (even though I know windows usually doesn't see anything above 3+)
>Using Firefox 22.0

So here's what is going on. Last night, I did a normal shut-down (Start>Shutdown>Turn off) and the computer hung on the "Windows is now shutting down" screen. I had to hold the CPU power button to turn it off.
This morning, I pressed the power button and my external WD HDD turned on, the keyboard lit up and it stopped there (monitor did not turn on). Also, on the E520 there is a set of 4 numbers (numbered 1 - 4) that flash intermittently during start up and it has always done that. This morning when trying to start up, the numbers were hanging on 2 + 4 when the system stopped responding. The monitor (even though I turned it off and on) did not respond so I got no BSD or error messages. I had to turn the CPU off and on (manually via the power button) 4 times when finally the CPU started up normally. There is no adverse sounds and when it did startup, there was no abnormal delay. I run Malwarebytes a few times a week and CCleaner at least 2 times per week. I also use SPECCY to monitor the temps. My only start-up items are audio, Windows essentials, Intel Rapid Storage & Device Monitor 4 (which is used to recognize my video cam when plugged into the USB port yet not connected now). Any idea what could be causing this? I will not shut down the CPU until I can get a resolution to the issue. Also, if you feel it may be a possible HDD issue (may be going down), can you link me to the page here on the site to do a back up of the HDD before it does die?
NOTE: The last time this happened, it was due to me cleaning the internals of the CPU (about 4 months ago)and when I opened the heatsink, I had to scrape off the old metalic heatsink paste and apply new paste but when that happened, the numbers on the front of the CPU were hanging on 1 + 3 during startup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

Hi Tim,

I appreciate your efforts to provide a detailed description of the issue. Diagnostic lights 2 and 4 indicates video subsystem configuration or failure. I suggest you to reseat the video card, if the system is configured with a discrete video card and check if the system works properly.

Please let me know about your findings.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#3 Tim Of Florida

Tim Of Florida
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Hi Rajath. Thanks for the insight. It was very strange that this issue happened about 3 times yesterday then all was fine. I restarted the CPU 4 times over a 6 hour period without any problems. The CPU started up this morning normally as well. Here's what's running as far as video card is concerned as reported by SPECCY.......

DELL 1908FP (1280x1024@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce 9500 GT (ZOTAC International)    123 °F

Since the system seems to be operating normally, I'm going to leave it alone for now. Now that I know the 2 & 4 lights point to the video setup, I'll refer to that if the problem arises again. I love Dell, it's the only computers I have owned since getting into computers. Thanks again!!! :)

Edited by Tim Of Florida, 16 July 2013 - 05:58 AM.

#4 Tim Of Florida

Tim Of Florida
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

Just thought I'd let you know Rajath....the problem began again and I took the CPU to a service center. The problem was the installed modem...not the video card. They removed the modem and all is working now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users