Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB wont re-install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lplateuser

lplateuser

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:21 AM

Hi, This is my first post as any other items I needed to address I found the answers in previous posts. I run XP Pro sp3 on a Dell Inspiron 1501 which I have owned for many years. 2Gb RAM. Office 2003, AVG free version, Malwarebytes, Glary Utilities, SlimDriver.

The problem: I tried to install a new Plug and Play wireless mouse specidied for XP. Plug and Play identified the mouse correctly as a 2.4G wireless mouse, but then asked for drivers which could not be supplied or found (as it is Plug and Play) and put it in Device Manager under the Other Devices folder rather than the mouse folder. I checked to see the mouse worked properly on another computer which also runs XP pro sp3 and it works. I thought it worth re-installing the USB hubs. When I shut down and re-started the laptop it found the USB hubs as new hardware, but then asked for drivers and put them in the Other Devices folder.  It has found 6 USB controllers even though I only have 4 USB ports.The USB folder in device manager which held the USB roots which I had not deleted has disappeared.

The Question: Is there any alternative to a complete re-install of the OS. I have the original Dell OS disc with XP Pro sp2 to use.

Edited by lplateuser, 15 July 2013 - 04:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Deleting hubs...accomplishes nothing, IMO...it's the controllers that decide USB functionality.

Go to Device Manager...uninstall every USB controller, one by one...then reboot the system.

Louis

#3 lplateuser

lplateuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

This is the problem. Rebooting the system does not reinstate the USB. It says "Found new hardware USB controllers and then asks for the drivers. In Device manager they are under "Other Devices" with the yellow question mark.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

USB controller drivers...are provided by Windows in every scenario I have seen on my systems.  I have never seen motherboard USB drivers.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/555/Product/inspiron-1501 , please run the PC diagnostics on your system.

Drivers for Inspiron 1501 , you will note that there is "USB driver" listed.

Please...try uninstalling Glary Utilities from your system...it is known to cause problems.

Louis

#5 lplateuser

lplateuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

HI, I have run the PC diagnostics and all systems passed with no suggestions for improvements. I have looked at the other link but cannot find any USB drivers. I did download and run the Dell Notebook System Software Utility, but it has not done anything.

Can you tell me under what category I can find these drivers. Every time I reboot I get the message saying New Hardware found and then the USB controllers end up in Other Devices in Device Manager.

Thanks for your help,

Ian

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

What you are reporting...makes no sense to me.

As I said...USB drivers are installed by Windows, they are generic drivers used by most, if not all systems.

Perhaps you should contact Dell support.

Louis

#7 lplateuser

lplateuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

Hi, It makes no sense to me either. The other unusual thing that has just happened is that the stand by option simply shuts the computer down now. I think my best option, although a pain is to format the hard drive and re install the OS - and then all my other programmes. Thank you very much for all your help.

Ian

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Not much help :), but your plan is one resolution of the problem, seemingly.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users