Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recovery partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wichita

Wichita

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

Hello,         I was in hope of someone helping me in creating a recovery partition on a laptop, so if I need to reinstall windows the way it is right now I could do it in a few minutes instead of hours....I have Just reinstalled windows xp pro service pack 3 & all the drivers.  I have read several topics on this from the internet but am not real for sure on how to do it still.. I could use some step by step directions & maybe pics or video if possible... Thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

(1) Install all security updates from Microsoft.
(2) Install whatever programs you want also?
(2a) Do this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500797/cloning-hard-drive-to-a-used-hard-drive/#entry3104221 before imaging your C drive.
(3) Download Clonezilla Live ISO - A small bootable GNU/Linux distribution for imaging and cloning. http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php
(3a) Burn ISO to CD, or create bootable USB thumb drive. I suggest use CD if you have it?
(4) Boot with CD, and image your C drive to a 8, or 16, or 32 Mb USB thumb drive. Info. http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live-doc.php

Once you have the image saved on a USB thumb drive, remove it, and save it in a safe place. Label the USB thumb drive so you know which PC image it is.

If ever your hard drive completely fails, you have the image on a USB thumb drive.

Edited by Crazy Cat, 15 July 2013 - 04:26 AM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

I'd create "system image" disks rather... That way even if your hard drive fails completely you can just stick in a new one and load it straight on, no install required.

I use 'Acronis True Image' for this, it's pretty easy to do.

edit: beat me to it CrazyCat, I was busy doing something, writing, talking email whilst you posted... added some good tips also. :thumbsup:

Edited by TsVk!, 15 July 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#4 Wichita

Wichita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Crazy Cat, in the Clonezilla I get an Error.... it says Excluding busy partition or disk... Error! No existing disk(s) or no unmounted disk(s) are found! To use Clonzilla to save or clone a disk the sorce must exit or be unmounted! If you are sure the disk exists in this machine, maybe the kernel is too old! Press enter to exit...

So I went back through the steps in the guide http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/01_Save_disk_image and the part where it says

Select sdb1 as image repository, then choose "savedisk" option     ^TOP^

ocs-08-sdb1-as-img-repo.png

the part where it says Note you should not mount the partition you want to backup....etc

in this section I only have the sda1 465.8Gntfs wich is my hard drive & operating system... what do I need to do? do I have to partition the hard drive or something if so details please...Thank you

#5 Wichita

Wichita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Well I think I might know what was happening... I need to use a USB Drive...I was Going to put it on DVD...I Dont Suppose this method works with DVD??? I will try it later tonight with USB...

#6 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

Well I think I might know what was happening... I need to use a USB Drive...I was Going to put it on DVD...I Dont Suppose this method works with DVD??? I will try it later tonight with USB...

Yes, use a USB drive. Clonezilla will prompt you to insert a USB drive.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users