Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Plugged in, Charging" but not holding a charge?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Charissakarr

Charissakarr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

I have a brand new battery, it fits perfect and the computer registers it and says that it is charging however when I unplug the computer, it shuts off with no power to support it. There is a red X through my battery icon aswell. I have tried the unplug everything and hold the power button for 30 seconds and have let the computer charge for over 8 hours (lid closed). Please help! i desperately need this battery to work!

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2013 - 03:37 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hi,

Friend had similar issue and solved in this thread: http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution/

Hope this is solves your issue.

Regards.....................

#3 Charissakarr

Charissakarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

It didn't work :( My computer is a HP Pavilion g6 running windows 7 if that helps at all

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 948 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

Try the following.

First of all, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter without the battery inserted, start the notebook, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and select Uninstall - do not uninstall anything else here. When the uninstall is complete, shut the notebook down, unplug the AC Adapter, re-insert the battery and then start the notebook on just the battery. Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes. Shut down the notebook again. Now plug in the AC Adapter ( with the battery still inserted ) and start the notebook to see if this has helped the issue at all.

Regards..................................

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

What is the make and model of both the computer and battery?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Charissakarr

Charissakarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

The computer is a HP Pavilliob G series and the battery is...well i'm not sure how to tell what the batter is..it says modle: CQ42 series, G62 series, dm41 series, G72 series

Edited by Charissakarr, 24 July 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#7 Charissakarr

Charissakarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

The problem with what SiknTired and other users are saying is that my battery does not have the charge to keep the computer on so i cant turn my computer on solely the battery to install the driver

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,302 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Have you checked the ouptut from the AC adaptor ?  Most laptops require 18.5V from the adaptor. If you measure the voltage at the plug that goes into the computer you should get about 19 - 20 V as it is off load when it is unplugged. I know this is an unlikely cause of the problem given what has been said, but it is an easy check to carry out.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users