Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Programmer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Hey guys, I'm a student studying Computer Network Security and taking my first intro to programming class next semester. My goal is to become a pen-tester/ethical hack to help government companys and companies like Google secure from hackers. I have been playing around with Codeacademy.com and did a few lessons on python but I would like more advice. I know to get close to my goal I would need to learn some languages like C/C++, python, perl, possibly ruby, SQL, and possibly others. Codeacademy has python, HTML/CSS, javascript, and I think ruby too but I can't seem to find good tutorials or codeacademy like programs for learning C/C++, perl, and others. I like the way Codeacademy works but I feel like I may not remember all of the commands while progressing. Also, I have looked into books for the languages but am unsure about software to use for coding, do I use notepad like in HTML and save it as an .exe or something to test? I have seen Visual Studio for javascript but I'm not sure. Lastly, do you find it more efficent to recieve formal education to learn to code or through tutorials and books? Testing with python on codeacademy has made me confused trying to figure out where the GUI design comes into everything, I have mostly education in everything behind the scenes but I've never seen how to design the front end with code. Thanks I appreciate any help you might give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

My goal is to become a pen-tester/ethical hack to help government companys and companies like Google secure from hackers. I have been playing around with Codeacademy.com and did a few lessons on python but I would like more advice. I know to get close to my goal I would need to learn some languages like C/C++, python, perl, possibly ruby, SQL, and possibly others.

That depends entirely on the thing you're attacking, and the vulnerability you're trying to trigger. If you want to trigger a cross site scripting vulnerability, then you'll need to know Javascript. If you want to trigger a buffer overflow, probably x86, x64, or ARM assembly in order to demonstrate the vulnerability.

With a couple of exceptions, learning how typical vulnerabilities work is orthogonal to learning programming language(s).

Codeacademy has python, HTML/CSS, javascript, and I think ruby too but I can't seem to find good tutorials or codeacademy like programs for learning C/C++, perl, and others.

You probably aren't going to find good tutorials on the internet for serious programming. Get a book.

I like the way Codeacademy works but I feel like I may not remember all of the commands while progressing. Also, I have looked into books for the languages but am unsure about software to use for coding, do I use notepad like in HTML and save it as an .exe or something to test?

That is different for every programming language. Some languages have a build step that produces an .exe file which runs directly. Some languages run in their own interpreter / JIT environment. Some languages are completely interpreted scripting languages.

I have seen Visual Studio for javascript but I'm not sure. Lastly, do you find it more efficent to recieve formal education to learn to code or through tutorials and books? Testing with python on codeacademy has made me confused trying to figure out where the GUI design comes into everything

Learn programming first. GUI design is a whole topic in and of itself. If you don't have basic understanding of algorithms, data structures, at least one programming language, you're not going to be very successful at GUI design.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the quick response, I was thinking to focus towards protecting servers and such against malware and rootkits, but perhaps later down the line website security might not be a bad idea. I was always told between stuff like python C++ and javascript as starting points. I plan to do all of my programming using my home linux system, progressing to closer to unix as I become more familiar. Would you recommend just taking more formal programming classes while in college to help learn these or would it be more beneficial to kickstart my learning myself with tutorials and books? Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users