Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free space on hard drive for game

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bdford

bdford

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hi, I just need help freeing some space on my hard drive for a computer game, Warcraft III. I installed the game and once I tried playing it online (Battle.net) it said this... "There was an error writing to your hard drive while trying to download a file from Battle.net. You may need to free some space. Please check your hard drive and try again." This may be something so simple as to deleting a few things, but I have no clue what to delete to free some space for it. Any help would be great. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

The first thing to do is check how much space you have on your hard drive(s). Happily, this is very easy.

Since you have posted in this forum, I assume you are running Win 7. At the left hand end of your taskbar, usually next to the icon for IE you will find an icon for Windows Explorer, click on this and Windows Explorer will open and give you an instant view of your computer. Click on 'Computer' and a screen will appear that will tell you the size of your drive(s) and how much of each is free. As a rule of thumb, you should always have at least 10% free - so on a 500 Gb drive, 50 Gb is the figure to look for. If you have more free space than this, you do not have a space problem.

If for some reason, you do not have the above icon, RIGHT click on the start button then click on 'Start Windows Explorer', then proceed as above.

If you do need to free up some space, start by emptying your 'Recycle Bin' - RIGHT click on it and select 'Empty ...'. Believe it or not, nothing is actually deleted from your hard drive until you do this. Then I would clear out all your collection of temporary files. There are at least two well thought of tools for this. I like CCleaner from www.piriform.com, others on these forums like a programme called Tfc, which you can get here :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

Just one point if you decide to use CCleaner - on the 'Applications' panel, scroll right down to the bottom and make sure that the entry for 'RegEdit' is UNTICKED.

Once you have done the above, it is time to try Warcraft again !  If it runs without problem - Great !  If the same error message re-appears, then I would suggest you look at the game settings and see where it is trying to save these files to. If the location is OK, and you are very short of hard drive space, then you may have to decide which of your own stuff you are going to back up off your computer and then delete from it. Photos would be a good place to start looking or videos that you no longer need.

If you still have this problem, then go and have a look at their FAQs and forums, and if all else fails contact their 'Help'.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Appears to be game problem, Links Re Problem

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users