Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP Unresponsive Under Other Profile

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

I    have an administrator profile (Me.To protect mother from downloading things she shouldn't) and a "user" profile.It seems that Windows Media Player autoplay will not respond under another users profile on this pc.I've tried MS Fixit and Windows Troubleshooter and turning Windows features off and on again.Anybody ??? :smash: :unsure: :(  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,402 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

<<...It seems that Windows Media Player autoplay will not respond...>>

Please...be more explicit in describing the problem.  What occurs under one profile that doesn't occur with another?  What profile does not exhibit the problem that you see?

Are all critical updates installed for the O/S?

Any onscreen error messages?

Louis

#3 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

hamluis

Thank you for your response...It's very simple...under the admin  profile (mine)

WMP autoplay seems to work just fine.But,under the other user profile,as soon as WMP opens and attempts to play the cd that I have inserted,it IMMEDIATELY becomes unresponsive.All critical updates are installed.And,no onscreen messages.I did find a "repair utility" that I'm thinking about trying from http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-windows-media-player-with-fix-wmp-utility   

I'll let you know how things go if I decide to try it (unless you can tell me what's happening first).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,402 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Well...autoplay/autorun is one thing and it's not supposed to run when a disk is inserted, for security reasons.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-autoplay-settings

MS Fixit, scroll down to Win 7 section.

WMP is another thing...does WMP play music that is not on a CD/DVD?  Does it play video files?

Louis

#5 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'd hate to say it, but have you tried a good third party media player?  Like VLC? http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

It's much simpler to use for a basic user as well - I know that wouldn't resolve the problem at hand, but it would let your mom rock out her tunes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users