Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Health supplements

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

I was browsing the "Medical Express" site and I saw an item showing that the Omega 3 suppliments could increase ones susceptability to prostate cancer. This study was backing up one in 2011, so I think there maybe something in it. I have posted this because omega 3 is being recommended to prevent high cholesterol. If any man is taking these, perhaps he should have a look at the site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

I was browsing the "Medical Express" site and I saw an item showing that the Omega 3 suppliments could increase ones susceptability to prostate cancer. This study was backing up one in 2011, so I think there maybe something in it. I have posted this because omega 3 is being recommended to prevent high cholesterol. If any man is taking these, perhaps he should have a look at the site.

I gave up taking any notice of these scaremongering bulletins many years ago. They normally originate from medical authorities, some Government department or some self elected source of infinite wisdom. If you wait long enough over the years, many of these predictions do a complete reversal.

Expressions like "could", "may", "Increase" etc. are immeasurable. Unless the statement is qualified in measurable finite terms, it is worthless. But these kind of statements do make an impression on people, usually depending on the source.

Percentages are a fatal brain trap. "The number of deaths caused by falling out of bed have increased by 100%". So it was 1 last year and 2 this year - big deal.

If there is no positive qualification given that places the statement into finite, measurable and proportional terms of practical judgement - IGNORE IT !

Many of these scaremongering emissions come from research source individuals wishing to win a gong or two for deriving a medical or healthy living blockbuster revelation from the scientific fraternity, a kind of self-appreciation society.

#3 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

"What's important is that we have been able to replicate our findings from 2011 and we have confirmed that marine omega-3 fatty acids play a role in prostate cancer occurrence," said corresponding author Theodore Brasky, Ph.D., a research assistant professor at The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center who was a postdoctoral trainee at Fred Hutch when the research was conducted. "It's important to note, however, that these results do not address the question of whether omega-3's play a detrimental role in prostate cancer prognosis," he said.

This did not look like scaremongering to me.

Did you look at the article?

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

"What's important is that we have been able to replicate our findings from 2011 and we have confirmed that marine omega-3 fatty acids play a role in prostate cancer occurrence," said corresponding author Theodore Brasky, Ph.D., a research assistant professor at The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center who was a postdoctoral trainee at Fred Hutch when the research was conducted. "It's important to note, however, that these results do not address the question of whether omega-3's play a detrimental role in prostate cancer prognosis," he said.

This did not look like scaremongering to me.

Did you look at the article?

I am  sure that Theodore Brasky, Ph.D. believes everything he says, but that does not mean that I do. As I have already stated, unless these predictions are qualified by realistic data, they are meaningless. Example - If by taking Omega 3 supplements 5 more people in 4 million are going to develop prostate cancer - the proclamation is no more than a sick joke, when considering the benefits given by Omega 3 to patients.

I have said what my attitude is to proclamations of doom by so-called random experts in the health cycle of human welfare. I say no more on this,  for me the matter is closed, but for others, believe what you feel is your best judgement in your own opinion.

At that, I rest my case.

Edited by yabbadoo, 15 July 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

I note that the writer says that Omega threes "play a role", but he doesn't say what kind of role.  Then, the writer says that it's important to note that the results don't indicate whether Omega 3's play a "detrimental role" in diagnosis of prostate cancer.

In other words, Omega 3's could have a positive effect.

~ OB :cherry:

p.s.  I have read from reliable sources that Evening Primrose Oil and pumpkin seeds both help prevent prostate cancer and are good for prostrate health.   One of my sources is Dr. James Duke, PhD. from the book The Green Pharmacy.  He did a lot of research for the USDA.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

Here's some health supplements I discovered recently: Honey and Cinnamon

HEART DISEASES: Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder, put it on toast instead of jelly and jam and eat it regularly for breakfast. It reduces the cholesterol and could potentially save one from heart attack. Also, even if you have already had an attack studies show you could be kept miles away from the next attack. Regular use of cinnamon honey strengthens the heart beat. In America and Canada, various nursing homes have treated patients successfully and have found that as one ages the arteries and veins lose their flexibility and get clogged; honey and cinnamon revitalize the arteries and the veins.

ARTHRITIS: Arthritis patients can benefit by taking one cup of hot water with two tablespoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. When taken daily even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon Honey and half teaspoon Cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week (out of the 200 people so treated) practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain -- and within a month, most all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis now started walking without pain.

BLADDER INFECTIONS: Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it. It destroys the germs in the bladder....who knew?

CHOLESTEROL: Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of Cinnamon Powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water given to a cholesterol patient was found to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood by 10 percent within two hours. As mentioned for arthritic patients, when taken three times a day, any chronic cholesterol-could be cured. According to information received in the said Journal, pure honey taken with food daily relieves complaints of cholesterol.

COLDS: Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder daily for three days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold, and, clear the sinuses, and it's delicious too!

UPSET STOMACH: Honey taken with cinnamon powder cures stomach ache and also is said to clear stomach ulcers from its root.

GAS: According to the studies done in India and Japan, it is revealed that when Honey is taken with cinnamon powder the stomach is relieved of gas.

IMMUNE SYSTEM: Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacterial and viral attacks. Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts. Constant use of Honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles (where DNA is contained) to fight bacterial and viral diseases.

INDIGESTION: Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey taken before food is eaten relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals

INFLUENZA: A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural 'Ingredient' which kills the influenza germs and saves the patient from flu.

LONGEVITY: Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken regularly, arrests the ravages of old age. Use four teaspoons of honey, one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, and three cups of boiling water to make a tea. Drink 1/4 cup, three to four times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and arrests old age. Life spans increase and even a 100 year old will start performing the chores of a 20-year-old.

RASPY OR SORE THROAT: When throat has a tickle or is raspy, take one tablespoon of honey and sip until gone. Repeat every three hours until throat is without symptoms.

PIMPLES: Three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder paste. Apply this paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash it off the next morning with warm water. When done daily for two weeks, it removes all pimples from the root.

SKIN INFECTIONS:Applying honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts cures eczema, ringworm and all types of skin Infections.

WEIGHT LOSS:Daily in the morning one half hour before breakfast and on an empty stomach, and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup of water. When taken regularly, it reduces the weight of even the most obese person. Also, drinking this mixture regularly does not allow the fat to accumulate in the body even though the person may eat a high calorie diet.

CANCER: Recent research in Japan and Australia has revealed that advanced cancer of the stomach and bones have been cured successfully. Patients suffering from these kinds of cancer should daily take one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder three times a day for one month.

FATIGUE: Recent studies have shown that the sugar content of honey is more helpful rather than being detrimental to the strength of the body. Senior citizens who take honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts are more alert and flexible. Dr. Milton, who has done research, says that a half tablespoon of honey taken in a glass of water and sprinkled with cinnamon powder, even when the vitality of the body starts to decrease, when taken daily after brushing and in the afternoon at about 3:00 P.M., the vitality of the body increases within a week.

BAD BREATH: People of South America, gargle with one teaspoon of honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water first thing in the morning so their breath stays fresh throughout the day.

HEARING LOSS: Daily morning and night honey and cinnamon powder, taken in equal parts restores hearing.

:tophat:

#7 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

I don't wish to be an old  spoil sport on the benefits of health foods etc., but I have known 3 people who were health and exercise fanatics in the past and they're  all dead. Me ? Nah, I  ain't gone yet, keep plodding on smoking my pipe, drinking my beer and still alive and kicking.

Yabba-Dabba-Doo !

Edited by yabbadoo, 20 July 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#8 nixtopoole

nixtopoole

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:16 AM

Health supplememts?? But don't you think its harmful for our health?? Looking fit and having strong muscles is really good but I had heared about some supplements which are really harmful for our health initially such supplements gives us a treamendous look but as the time goes on it has a bad affect affect on our body growth, it seems strange but I had a friend of mine who had suggested me not use any kind of supplements instead I should try for any healthy supplements like taking healthy vegitables in the morning then fruit shakes like using strawberries and milk shakes or using Manuka honey and milk etc.

#9 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

Health supplememts?? But don't you think its harmful for our health?? Looking fit and having strong muscles is really good but I had heared about some supplements which are really harmful for our health initially such supplements gives us a treamendous look but as the time goes on it has a bad affect affect on our body growth, it seems strange but I had a friend of mine who had suggested me not use any kind of supplements instead I should try for any healthy supplements like taking healthy vegitables in the morning then fruit shakes like using strawberries and milk shakes or using Manuka honey and milk etc.

Tomatoes mate, they are the thing to gorge on - see The Humble Tomato thread.

Stuffing down all those vitamin pills will cause you to self destruct.

You may get a big red nose with a tomato overdose, but the rest will look like Superman without  the plastic muscles.

Edited by yabbadoo, 12 August 2013 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users