Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Computer will not Save or Download

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Brad2013_*

Guest_Brad2013_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Dear Sir, Madam or Ms 

Whenever I try to download newly-purchased software, a folder, or file the following message appears:

"C:\DOCUME~1\Raymond\LOCALS~1\Temp\eEy5yasW.exe. part could not be saved because 

you cannot change the contents of that folder.  Change the folder properties and try again

or try saving in a different folder"     

The message is Double-Dutch to me.  Can anybody please tell me in basic English what it means and tell me how to rectify this problem.

Thank you very much in advance if you can help. 

Yours sincerely

Raymond

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Try double clicking on "My Computer", then when that opens double click on your "C" drive, and when that opens double click on "Documents and Settings", then when that opens, double click on the folder with your name on it, then when that opens double click on "Local Settings", and when that opens right click on "Temp". That should open a little window wherein you next left click on "Properties" at the bottom of said window, which will open the "Temp Properties" window. 

Once that window is open, left click on the "Security" tab, then check and see if your "user name" is in the box up at the top. If not, then click on the "Add" tab, which will open another little window where you can then type your user name into the box then click on the "OK" button at the bottom.

That should give you permission to download files and save them in the "Temp" folder.

#3 Guest_Brad2013_*

Guest_Brad2013_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

• RE: A new reply has been posted to Computer will not Save or Download‏
To see messages related to this one, group messages by conversation.

sender's name removed
19/07/2013

To: BleepingComputer.com

bluemanmxl.png
To: bleep@bleepingcomputer.com
Subject: RE: A new reply has been posted to Computer will not Save or Download
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 20:32:20 +0100

Hello JHMcG

Thank you for your e-mail of help.

No"Local Settings"appear on the folder bearing my name.  I cannot progress beyond this point, consequently I still cannot use the download facility. 

My OS is Windows Xp Pro.  The SP3 has disappeared from my computer; could this be the root of the problem?  I cannot reinstall SP3 because I cannot download anything.  Any suggestions?

Best regards

Raymond

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 August 2013 - 08:57 AM.
edited to remove personal information.

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

That is because it is a "Hidden Folder". To make "Hidden Files" visible what you do is :
1) Double left click on "My Computer"
2) When that opens, left click on "Tools" up at the top.
3) That will open a small menu in which you left click on "Folder Options"
4) That will open a "Folder Options" window wherein you left click on "View" 2nd Tab from the left up at the top.
5) That will open the "View" settings wherein I set them as follows :
a) Put a Checkmark on "Automatically search for network folders and printers"
B) Put a Checkmark on "Display file size information in folder tips"
c) Put a Checkmark on "Display simple folder view in Explorer's Folders list"
d) Put a Checkmark on "Display the contents of system folders"
e) Put a Checkmark on "Display the full path in the address bar"
f) Put a Checkmark on "Display the full path in the title bar"
g) Left click on the circle to the left of "Show hidden files and folders" so there is a little green dot inside the circle
h) Remove the Checkmark from "Hide extensions for known file types"
i) Remove the Checkmark from "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
j) Remove the Checkmark from "Launch folder windows in a separate process"
k) Put a Checkmark on "Remember each folder's view settings"
l) Remove the Checkmark from "Restore previous folder windows at logon"
m) Put a Checkmark on "Show control panel in My Computer"
n) Put a Checkmark on "Show encrypted or compressed NTSF files in color"
o) Put a Checkmark on "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items"
p) Remove the Checkmark from "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)"

NOTE : That is how I have my XP PRO setup. You don't have to make yours the same, BUT YOU MUST USE THE UNDERLINED SETTINGS.

Once you have redone these setting in a satisfactory manner, then you left click on the "Apply to all folders" button up at the top, then left click on the "Apply" button down at the bottom. 

That will make your system files visible, so you can follow the instructions in my previous post.

Edited by JHMcG, 21 July 2013 - 12:44 PM.

#5 Guest_Brad2013_*

Guest_Brad2013_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

• E-mail bounced‏
To: JHMcG@bleepingcomputer.com
bluemanmxl.png
  •  

Hello JHMcG

Thank you for your very easy to understand e-mails.  I get the impression that you are a professional writer, perhaps a technical writer, or a teacher or lecturer.  Your instructions are absolutely brilliant.  Unfortunately some items are missing on my computer and I need more help.  I've arriived at the Temp Properties window, but the Security and the Add tab are missing. However, there are three tabs on the window:  General, Sharing and Customise,   Perhaps I'm at the wrong window.  I'm stuck.  I'm sorry to trouble you further.  Do you have any suggestions?

Best wishes

Brad2013

Edited by Brad2013, 13 August 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

Admin Note:  Since I see several references to emails being sent...regarding forum business...I need to bring it to the attention of everyone that forum business should not be conducted via PM or email.

The interests of the member posting a problem are best served when conducted in the open discussion forum, where the ideas/suggestions of the many can be under public scrutiny.  The forum format protects the member with a problem...from misunderstand or erroneious advice...and provides many more possibilities of suggestions ideas...than the view held by any one person.

If I've misunderstood what has transpired...then just chalk that up to my misunderstanding of what I see posted.

Louis

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

Louis, I think that the email received is a notification to let Brad2013 know that someone has replied to the topic since he is subscribed to it.

Brad, there is no need to post the email you received. You also do not have to reply to the email.

For the bounce message, your reply was sent to bleep@bleepingcomputer.com. That is where the mail originates from. It does not come from the address of the one who replied.

bleep@bleepingcomputer.com is incapable of receiving mail which is why it bounced. You also do not need to post the bounce mail.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 August 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

It sounds as if the default location for downloads has been changed.

Normally they would be sent to the Downloads folder.

You can change it but depending on your browser there are different methods to use. What browser are you using? Name and version please.

#9 Guest_Brad2013_*

Guest_Brad2013_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hello and Thank You To All The Good People Who Are Trying To Help Me.

This next part is for you Louis.  Yes Louis, you have misunderstood.  I am a newbie and unfamiliar with computer jargon, terminology and phraseology.  Also, I'm new to Bleeping Computer.com.   My understanding was that the word e-mail is synonomous with the word post.  It seems that I am wrong.  What does one do with mail?  One posts it. Hence my describing the replies (e-mails or posts) of help I've received as e-mails.  At home, if one of my family say "Hey Brad, here's some post for you".  I immediately think some mail has arrived for me.  Alas, methinks some varlet speaketh with foreign tongue which methinks bedevils me, forsooth (William Shakespeare, "Mother Tongue Betrayed act iv, scene iii").  I'm looking forward to my forthcoming learning experiences.

Best wishes to everybody, and in the immortal words of Yoda, "May the Force be with you". 

Brad

Edited by Brad2013, 13 August 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Brad, I've done some digging and found something that might be worth a try. This is the process with Windows 7. It may be one of those things that is also the same for XP.

From your desktop or start menu click Computer to open My Computer.

Next double click Drive C.

Do you see a folder called Downloads? If so, RIGHT click on it and choose Properties. If you don't see the folder it may be under your user account name.

Click the Location tab.

What is listed in the box for downloaded files location?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 August 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#11 Guest_Brad2013_*

Guest_Brad2013_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

Dear Queen-Evie

Thank you for your help.

Copied below is a my response to your message on my computer.  It must have been an e-mail because the  electronic postmaster returned it.  E-mails or posts? I'm baffled.

Dear Queen-Evie, or should I say Greetings Your Majesty

I hope you are well and in good spirits.

Thank you for your communication.  I don't know whether to call it an e-mail or a post, so for the time being, I'll call it a communication.  Here's hoping you can enlighten me on what to call it.  Or maybe Your Majesty  will instruct one of your serfs to do so. 

I'll apply your instructions when I've sent this response to you.

Look after yourself and stay safe and HAPPY.

Brad

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Brad, QE will do just fine. I'm not the stuffy type and Your Majesty does not suit me.

I'll try to explain things to you.

At some point after you made your first post you decided to Follow This Topic. I will assume you clicked the Follow This Topic button on the top right hand side of this page.

When you follow a topic you are informed by the Bleeping Computer mailer when someone replies to the topic. This is the email you receive to let you know about a reply.

The email is not a post-it's simply the method used for letting you know someone has replied and who that person is. In a sense it is a communication in the form of a mail to you.

Notifications are useful so you don't have to keep checking the forum for replies if you are not following a topic.

As stated above, you cannot reply to a post notification email. bleep@bleepingcomputer.com is the address the notifications are sent from. It is set up to send, but not to receive mail which is why it bounces when you reply.

The reply is being sent to bleep@bleepingcomputer.com, not to the email of the person who made the reply in the topic.

In order for YOU to reply you have to do it in the topic.

For forum purposes POST refers to what you see on the screen in the topics. This reply is a post. Any comments made by you or others are posts.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 August 2013 - 06:28 PM.
edit to correct a spelling error

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

:thumbup2: , clarification appreciated :).

Louis

#14 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

Raymond, I don't know why the "Security" tab is missing from your "Temp Properties" window. The "Add" tab is part of the "Security" window that opens when you click on the "Security" tab. Maybe you should try to save your downloads somewhere else. Like make a "Downloads" folder on "C" drive, and when it asks you where you want to save your file, type in :--  C:\Downloads  -- That might work.

#15 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:39 PM

He's probably on XP Home where the security tab only appears when logged in as administrator in safe mode.

I presume you are using Firefox Brad2013 since the download has .part at the end. If you are viewing this post or email about this post in Firefox, click Tools on the menu then Options. In the save files to, browse and click Desktop and then OK.

And what exactly is eEy5yasW.exe? Doesn't sound safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users