Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD while running Steam.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Buccura

Buccura

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

It seems that I've been getting rare random BSODs lately, and it's been while running Steam every time it happens. Strangly enough, this never happens when I'm running games. I've been playing Witcher 2, Bioshock Infinite, and Borderlands 2 and I have not had any issues at all running any of these games. Here is what the message says. Also, I don't actually see the BSOD, the computer just freezes and then crashes. Thanks.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA800617A8F8
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\071413-24351-01.dmp
C:\Users\Buccura\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-97812-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi

Welcome to the Bleeping Computer forum.   :welcome:

We need to collect some basic info to analyze and find the reason behind the crashes. So please follow the below steps.

:step1:  Post the full spec or model number of your Laptop\PC

:step2: Open C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Copy and  zip the entire contents of that folder and upload to any free file hosting site of your choice. You may have to disable UAC to copy them.

Example file hosting sites :

Post the download link to the dumps in next reply.

:step3:  Generate a report about your system using Speccy by reading the guide below. Make sure to run the Speccy after running the system about one or more hour. This will give us an indication of current CPU -GPU temperature status.

Post the web link displayed by Speccy in next reply.

:step4:  Download and run Minitoolbox from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

-List last 10 Event viewer errors
    -List installed programs
    -List devices
    -List users, partition and memory size

Now click "Go" and post the output in next reply  (or upload the result.txt with dump files) 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 July 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#3 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

My computer is a Dell Studio 540. I got it in 2009.

Okay, here are the .dmp files

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0RBAM2I6/071113-33774-01.dmp_links

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/17DUACCD/071413-24351-01.dmp_links

And here is the speccy snapshot.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2bldFAAQwzyplLxF286YKP7

Thanks for pointing me out to this, this thing is neat!

Edited by Buccura, 14 July 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi

Thanks for posting the requested info. 

It may take a while to analyze the dumps and logs you posted. It's mid night in my country so i will post my findings in the morning. In the meantime, run the system continuously and periodically check  whether there is any noticeable change in either the CPU or graphic card  temperature.

Regards.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 July 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#5 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

I've started doing that today, as my research has shown it could be a heating issue. But since this doesn't happen during games, I sort of doubt it, especially since The Witcher 2 is a fairly graphically intense game.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Hi

I am having difficulties downloading the dumps from Mirrorcreator . Please zip all the crash dump to a single file and upload to one of the below sites.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 July 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#7 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Sorry about that, here's a working link. http://www.mediafire.com/download/bcdopfix59eu2r0/dmp_Files.zip

So far I have not had another BSOD. I also tried the demo for HAWX and I had no issues playing it at all.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

Hi

This is the stop code you received.

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error
source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the
WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception
Arg2: fffffa80069887c8, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
Arg3: 0000000000000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557321(v=vs.85).aspx

Basically this error means CPU became halted due to an unknown reason. What makes troubleshooting this error is that, it could be any hardware or software part of the system which is the culprit. What we can do is to take a couple of steps to eliminate known issues and check whether the issue returns. Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Most of the dell system came with a built in diagnostics. Run that first.

- While powering on , keep press F12 to bring the boot menu.

- Choose diagnostics from the menu and let it run a full test. Check whether it found any hardware error in the long test.

:step2: Go to the support page of your model in Dell site and download the latest BIOS and install it.

:step3: Remove the following third party antivirus programs.

Avast antivirus

Comodo firewall

Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials from the below link.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=5201

From a strict BSOD perspective, we highly recommends MSE for all users. After installing, run a full scan with it to make sure the system is malware free.

:step4: Use a can of compressed air and clean any dust inside the machine. Dusts can do unpredictable behaviors other than overheating.

:step5: There are no audio drivers are installed in your system. Windows is using the generic high definition audio controller driver which is built in to it.

First check whether Windows 7 drivers are available in the Dell support site. If not available, try to get it from Microsoft update. 

If you are having difficulties in finding the right driver, please post the exact model number and service tag of your PC in next reply.

Please follow the above steps and let me know your findings. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 July 2013 - 07:08 AM.

#9 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Running the diagnostic test now. I'm doing every test to be sure, and so far there are no failed tests so it seems fairly likely thus far it's not a hardware issue, which if it is the case I'm thankful for because I'd rather not spend money on new hardware.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hi

Post your findings after completing all the steps.

Regards.

#11 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

It seems every test has passed, so it seems likely that there is no hardware issue. Heating is not an issue either, as I've watched the temperatures, both when idle and when in games and it never went above the normal levels. I'm installing and running MSE now to see if that turns anything up.

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Hi

Also don't forget to clean the system interior. Make sure system is free from dirt, fans are working fine,  cables  and connections are tight etc. You can also remove and re-insert the memory modules and graphics card to solve any potential loose connections.  Run the system for a couple of days and report the status.

While resolving STOP 0x124, we are really shooting in the darkness without knowing where is the enemy is hiding.

#13 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

I cleaned it of dust a few days ago so that's already taken care of. I'll check for loose cables later today though. And, yeah I realize that it's a really unspecific issue and will likely take time before we ultimately find the culprit. The good news is that other than the crashing I had the computer is running just fine. None of my games are suffering any kind of performance loss at all.

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hi

Let us hope the issue won't return. If it is, we may need to go through some real stress testing tests to find out the culprit.

Keep me posted.

#15 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Quick update: I uninstalled COMODO and so far, everything is going fine with no problems *knocks on wood*, however I am going to wait until a week has passed before I decide that it was the likely cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users