Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can connect to cable modem (gateway), but not Internet. Help?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jdrakeh

jdrakeh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

I'm working on an older Windows XP machine (but this issue is not limited to Windows XP, per #3 below). It can connect to my cable modem (gateway) via both LAN and wi-fi, but it can't "see" any further than that. Connecting to the Internet is a total no go. I can't ping anything further than the modem (gateway). 

I've already power cycled the modem (gateway) released and renewed IP, flushed the DNS cache, rebuilt the TCP/IP stack, and re-installed all of the drivers. No joy. I still can only get as far as the cable modem. 

Other information, since I was asked elsewhere: 

1.) All of my other computers can connect to the Internet without issue through the same modem. 

2.) I do not have MAC filtering enabled. 

3.) Also, thinking it may just be Windows XP, I burned a (Puppy Slacko) Linux Live CD, but I'm having the same problem there. 

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jdrakeh

jdrakeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

More information:

The modem has a router built-in, which I am using. I do not have another router in the loop. The make/model of the modem is: Arris Interactive, L.L.C. tg862g. I can see/access the modem UI from the problem computer.

Clarification, since the issue was raised elsewhere: I have also performed a full factory reset in addition to the power cycle.

I continue to be able to access the Internet through the modem on two other PCs (one running Windows 7, one running Linux Mint and Windows 7*), as well as through two cell phones, and an Xbox 360. None of those other devices have any issue at all accessing the Internet through the modem. 

*The latter of which I am posting this from. 

#3 Burney

Burney

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

It seems like your network card may be shot if you did a full restore, but I am thinking you may need to just reinstall the network drivers for your LAN and wifi cards.  Also try booting into safe mode with networking and try to connect.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

For the record, this issue has also been posted here http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Can-connect-to-my-modem-gateway-via-LAN-and-wi-fi-but-not-the/td-p/1751007

Please post the requested information in the Comcast forum. When I see that you have posted it I will alert a Connection Expert to look at the results. He may be able to help you. There is also the possibility that a non-expert can help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users