Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver missing???

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

I had to wipe a hard drive. I then attempted to load a new OS. The OS CD begins, and when I select install, it begins and then displays:

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert now."

Of course, I do not have it. Went to the PC (Gateway) and could not find the driver (found a bunch of other drivers for this PC). The drive is from Sony NEC Optiarc Inc., so I went there. Still nothing.

The drive model # is AD-7173A. This is the first time I have done this. I am a student still is tech school trying to learn PCs and netwroking. Not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

1. This is an old optical PATA IDE drive. What OS are you trying to install? I assume you have an old computer that you got from somewhere (that's not a knock, just an assumption-I work on them all the time). These old timers can be a pain to work on.

2. The easiest and fastest thing to do is just swap the drive with another; these drives are dirt cheap now, Newegg.com has them. Look for "free shipping" if you can find it. You can spend hours on this and still   not fix it.

3. If #2 will not work for you, find the manufacturer's website for your make of drive; go to the support section; look for your model drive firmware downloads. The drivers for your CD should be in the firmware on the circuit board of the CD itself; that is why the drive will run before you install an OS.  Either your drive has failed, is failing, or has messed up firmware.

NOTE: this may or may not work. These manufacturers are lax about keeping files of old drivers, and there is no guarantee that it will work if you manage to do it.

Edited by ranchhand1, 14 July 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#3 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Thanks ranchhand1 for responding. Trying to install Windows 7 32bit. It had Vista Home Premium 32bit originally. This PC belongs to a friend that knows I'm going to school and asked if I wanted to fix it. Originally it would not boot, really wacked out. Did the things people told me to do with no luck. Everyone said to wipe it (hard drive) and load a new OS. Sounded good to me. Connected the HDD to another PC and formatted both partitions on the drive. Reinstalled the HDD back to the old PC and attempted to load 7.

In #3 you mentioned firmware. I think I saw firmware on the site. I was looking for the word driver. If in fact the firmware is there, can I down load it and put on the CD and use the CD and insert it? Will this resolve it? I ask because I have never done this, but sure would like to try and get some experiance. Whats your thoughts? Any instructions on this?

I have some other PCs that were given to me (w/o the HDD) by persons helping me in my quest to learn. They had XP on them, so I think they are older than this one. Anyway, what do you think?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Is the hdd a SATA?

If this is a SATA driver this message may be asking for you do load the SATA driver.  If this is the case you can download it and place it on a flash drive to install it during the installation.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Is this a Microsoft installation disc or a copy of one?

If this is a copy, the copy speed could have been too fast.

Another cause of this would be that the disc is in poor condition.

Since this message is asking for a driver the possibility that the optical drive could be the problem is slim, but you can change it out, or try the disc in another computer to see if it works.

Edited by dc3, 14 July 2013 - 03:54 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

Thanks dc3. The hdd is a sata.

Gateway GT5628

Microsoft disk, not a copy

Not sure of the condition. Belongs to a friend that loaded it on his some time ago. Using it to see if I can load on this one before I buy 7. This machine had some issues.

I have a few computers without hard drives. Do you think I could take the hard drive from the gateway and put it in one and try to load 7 on it?

Just to make sure I'm communicating. When i boot from the dvd drive, it first says: Windows is loading files, next it says starting windows, nest I select language, next I select start now, it then says setup is starting, in about 5-10 seconds it ask for the cd/dvd driver.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

If you can still boot into your current operating system go to the device manager and expand the menu so that your CD/DVD-ROM is shown.  Double click on this and click on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver.  When you reboot the computer a new driver will be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

Since the installation loading means the DVD is actually being read without needing a driver, this error message is usually provoked by a faulty disc. When the DVD has been burned from an ISO, it's generally a bad burn. If it's a commercial pressing, examine for condition, scratches etc, try careful cleaning.

Alternatively, if the DVD drive is SATA (and the model number may indicate some doubt there) and the mainboard has two sets of SATA ports provided by two controllers, try the installation with the DVD on the other controller.

Occasionally you can be lucky and have a Windows installation be transferable between computers if the hardware is very similar, but generally speaking you cannot expect to be able to set up Windows on another system then move the hard drive into a different computer.

Edited by Platypus, 15 July 2013 - 09:50 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

If you can still boot into your current operating system go to the device manager and expand the menu so that your CD/DVD-ROM is shown.  Double click on this and click on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver.  When you reboot the computer a new driver will be installed.

The OS is gone. I formatted the drive by connecting it to another PC.

#9 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Since the installation loading means the DVD is actually being read without needing a driver, this error message is usually provoked by a faulty disc. When the DVD has been burned from an ISO, it's generally a bad burn. If it's a commercial pressing, examine for condition, scratches etc, try careful cleaning.

Alternatively, if the DVD drive is SATA (and the model number may indicate some doubt there) and the mainboard has two sets of SATA ports provided by two controllers, try the installation with the DVD on the other controller.

Occasionally you can be lucky and have a Windows installation be transferable between computers if the hardware is very similar, but generally speaking you cannot expect to be able to set up Windows on another system then move the hard drive into a different computer.

Its an IDE/ATAPI. My thinking behind putting the hdd in another pc and successfully loading 7 would tell me the hdd and the cd are good. Right? I'm not sure.

Someone suggested that I go into the bios and setting the board back to default setting. I'm not sure how to do this. I know how to get into bios at boot, but never made changes. Do you think this is something to try and if so, how?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Its an IDE/ATAPI. My thinking behind putting the hdd in another pc and successfully loading 7 would tell me the hdd and the cd are good. Right? I'm not sure.

Someone suggested that I go into the bios and setting the board back to default setting. I'm not sure how to do this. I know how to get into bios at boot, but never made changes. Do you think this is something to try and if so, how?

Sorry, I misread your reference to the HDD being SATA. Trying components in another system as a process of elimination to prove if they're working properly is a sound approach.

In the BIOS there is usually an option called something like Load Default Settings, you can try selecting that to see if it makes any difference. Depending on what default settings the manufacturer thought would be normal, you might need to make some change after that, like if maybe the optical drive is then no longer the boot device to start installing from the DVD. Whether it will achieve anything is hard to say.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

Replace the PATA IDE drive with a Sata drive. I had the same problem on a friend's computer.

#12 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

I did the bios thing. No go. Still won't load.

I think I will try mainer21 idea. Replacing the optical drive. Cant be much$$. Can I just go buy one and put it in? Any specs that I need to adhere to? I would assume it should be a Sata? I have several sata ports unused on the mobo. Do they come with disks for drivers? How would I load drivers for it if I have no OS on the PC?

I know, I'm just full of questions. But how else am I going to learn.

Thanks everyone for your help.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

A DVD drive is a plug and play device, this means that there are drivers which are native to a Windows operating system which will be installed the first time the computer is booted with the new drive installed.

When you remove the old optical drive you will have  SATA data and power cables available to connect the new drive with.

The only other advise I would make would be to touch the metal of the case before touching anything inside the case to discharge any static electricity.  Electrostatic discharges can damage or kill onboard components.   I will go so far as to suggest that you unplug this computer from the wall receptacle.

Edited by dc3, 17 July 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#14 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

I did the bios thing. No go. Still won't load.

I think I will try mainer21 idea. Replacing the optical drive. Cant be much$$. Can I just go buy one and put it in? Any specs that I need to adhere to? I would assume it should be a Sata? I have several sata ports unused on the mobo. Do they come with disks for drivers? How would I load drivers for it if I have no OS on the PC?

I know, I'm just full of questions. But how else am I going to learn.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The error sounds like you have a defective optical drive. If the disk's physical condition is OK, than I expect the drive is bad. If the system can handle a SATA drive that's what I'd use, because you don't have to set jumpers like you do on a PATA drive. You don't need drivers for the device, and optical drives all fit in a standard size bay. Sometimes the decorative face plates make things a little difficult, but essentially it's a "one size fits most" affair. If you are in doubt about the interface, just match the old drive.

SATA DVD burners can usually be had for $16-$18 or so, if you need to go with a PATA drive, they're a bit higher.

Edited by slgrieb, 17 July 2013 - 07:49 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#15 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

Thanks everyone. I will go buy a sata optical drive and install it. dc3 said its plug and play, that drivers are in the OS and will load automatically. I have no OS on the PC. Is this going to be a problem?

sigrieb- you mentioned jumpers on the PATA. This PATA does not have a jumper on it. Should it have one? Could this be my issue?

Thanks again for the helpful instruction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users