Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP isn't booting up at all.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thebestrc

thebestrc

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

Hi my computer isn't booting up at all. Before this my pc would load but then I would get a error before I could login :

IMG_20130713_100402.jpg

I have 5 drives in my system and I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the hd that I use to boot.

Any way after I login the system is very slow and unresponsive. Hanging in every click. So I decided to make a bootable windows 7 usb. I would of chosen XP but I didn't have it on my system at the time and I didn't want to risk downloading it and my system freezing before I got a chance to make the bootable usb. After a while I succeeded in making the bootable usb and was about to attempt a backup when the system froze.

I opened task manager and tried closing Explorer.exe as doing this usually solves the problem however I was presented with this error message:

IMG_20130709_211631.jpg

Upon restart which took an unusually long time. Roughly 5 minutes on the windows XP loading page a BSOD appeared:

IMG_20130713_160123.jpg

I tried again but it only appeared for a micro second before the pc restarted. I tried entering the safe mode all versions of it but to no avail as the same thing happened. A BSOD flash momentarily onscreen then it restarted.

So I installed Windows 7 on one of my other drives and it working but still quite slow if I open too many things at once. I am now in the process of trying to repair the original drive. I can access data on the drive but attempting to repair using chkdsk causes the system to hang. The only time it fully completed chkdsk was when I entered the command chkdsk /c /f and that still took 3.5 hours. The drive in question is 500gb but only 75gb is used up and most of that would be the windows XP installation.

Even after that I still couldn't boot up the drive as the same problem occurred. Any tips on how I can get the original drive booting up would be appreciated.

Will post a screen shot of system spec as soon as pc becomes responsive. Posted from my phone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Assuming you have tried System Restore and Last Known Good...

Using a system repair disk will be the way to go with this... If you don't have one you'll need to download one from another computer and burn the image as a boot disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users