Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advantages of Encrypting Entire filesystem with truecrypt

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abz2910

abz2910

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:38 AM

Hi everyone,

Could someone please tell me the advantages of encrypting the entire Windows OS file system using truecrypt, as this is one of the options given in the software? This is as compared to simply creating an encrypted container for files with truecrypt

I know that this prevents unauthorised users having access to your computer if they steal it and attempt to login. But doesn't the Windows logon password have the same effect as the truecrypt password in this case?

Any other advantages and disadvantages?

Thanks in advance :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Encrypting the entire Windows volume means that Windows will not be able to boot unless the correct password is entered when the computer starts up. The Windows logon password secures the PC from low-sophistication intrusion attempts and can be bypassed with freely available tools, exposing any unencrypted files. Full disk encryption can protect your data from sophisticated intrusion attempts, since even if an adversary gains direct physical access to your machine the data is encrypted.

#3 abz2910

abz2910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Alright thanks :)

But if I encrypt the entire filesystem with truecrypt and am the only user on my PC, is there any point having a Windows logon password at all?

Also, is there any way to recover the truecrypt data (e.g. with a password reset USB) if I forget my truecrypt password?

Thanks again

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yes, you should still use a Windows password to secure your system. Once the decryption password is given to the Truecrypt boot loader, anyone with access to the PC can access the encrypted files.

In case Truecrypt is unable to decrypt the drive you can create a Trucrypt Rescue Disk. However, if you forget the password then your data are gone forever.

Edited by Andrew, 11 October 2013 - 01:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users