Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your thoughts and opinons on the Snowden Case and NSA?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

Not sure if this is the correct place but I couldn't find anything specific to post it to that would be appropriate.

Just curious as to people's opinons and views on the whole debacle. No right or wrong answers, just your insight and opinon please?

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2013 - 06:01 AM.
Moved from Breaking News to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

We're all going to jail, hooray, also don't trust the government.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Big deal ! BIG YAWN !

Edited by yabbadoo, 16 July 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#4 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

My thoughts. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/497983/time-for-a-second-american-revolution/page-2

Edited by Crazy Cat, 19 July 2013 - 08:39 AM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#5 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

I don't quite know about a revolution but the complacency displayed by some is exactly why things are allowed to be the way they are. Never challenge a thing, just be a pasty head nodder and follow along like a good little dog? No sorry, that's not what this country was founded on.
Someone on here needs a history lesson.

#6 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

NSA gets burned by a sysadmin, decides to burn 90% of its sysadmins. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/09/snowden_nsa_to_sack_90_per_cent_sysadmins_keith_alexander/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#7 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

ok i am now caught in this topic. I need time to read the links above before commenting further.

My most recent favorite reply to anything or anyone I don't agree with (such as the whole mess with our privacy and security being compromised):

That. Is. Unfortunate.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

isn't that the guy who acquired asylum from Russia after a U.S. manhunt?  accused of some kind of espionage or something. I saw it in the news, that one guy is causing alot of tension.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#9 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:29 AM

Snowden leaked "sensitive" info on the NSA and PRISM projects, though kinda Ironic that the government gets mad when some of THEIR private info is shared. And people are calling snowden a traitor and saying he cost US soldiers their lives, though I have to yet hear of a case that directly links him and his releasing of info causing someone's death.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

I need time to read the links above before commenting further. My most recent favorite reply to anything or anyone I don't agree with [..] That. Is. Unfortunate.

I have not had my coffee yet, so I am probably completely misunderstanding you. Are you saying that it is unfortunate that one needs to review the data before commenting on a topic with which one doesn't agree? That is the proper way to participate in a civil discussion, so you see, I must be misunderstanding.

#11 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

g morning.  Same here re. coffee. need coffee. My phrase using unfortunate was a vain attempt at humor and a general reference/reply to situations at work where you have to frame your replies very carefully, but you want that right tone to convey your disagreement.

On the topic here, I actually did take time finally to go read the links. When I made that comment, I knew enough to generally comment...so to clarify my position: I do not agree with compromising our privacy and security. And Snowden is not the person who has compromised us.

I am on the side of Snowden in this particular thread. I view him as more of a whistle blower than a spy. I don't think it matters if he was a contract employee or that he gave away confidential information or that he fled. I feel our own confidential information has already been compromised by the NSA, and when he saw what was going on, he did what most corporations and the Fed gov would call blowing the whistle. 

And that is unfortunate.

I also started a thread here on BC in the Speak Easy based on a breaking news story on a somewhat related topic, and Snowden was mentioned there too, so I never circled back here.   

Apologies for being vague above.  I appreciate your comments. 

I hope that explains better. I love the discussion here, and I really must get coffee.  Stat. 

#12 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

Whatever the intricacies and implications of this Snowden case, I wish it would disappear.

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Interesting development.

The British authorities forced the Guardian newspaper to destroy material leaked by Edward Snowden, its editor has revealed, calling it a "pointless" move that would not prevent further reporting on U.S. and British surveillance programs.

More and quote from: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/20/us-usa-security-snowden-guardian-idUSBRE97I10E20130820

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:28 PM

wow, Animal. Thank you and very interesting.

And they ('security experts from Britain's secretive Communications Gov HQ') went to the Guardian and destroyed what they knew already existed elsewhere.  These things just get me. Well, idk, a whole lot gets me, I guess.

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

And of course they say they did the right thing:

Britain defends top official's role in halting Snowden reports:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/21/us-usa-security-snowden-may-idUSBRE97K0KK20130821

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users