Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve E

Steve E

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

The other day my computer would not boot. I went into the BIOS and there was no hard drive detected.

I opened the case and checked to see if the cables were tight. Everything seem OK. I also removed the power connector from the drive and replaced it with a different one.

The system booted fine and it seem to be running OK again.

My questions are, If the power supply connector was bad, would the BIOS still detect a drive present? Not to say it would function, but, would the BIOS detect it?

This is a month old power supply from newegg. If one connector went bad should I replace the whole power supply asap?

Finally, I am using round cables that were supplied with my board (3 weeks ago). Are ribbons better and should I replace the cables with new ribbons?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

I would suspect a defective Power Supply. But what are your specs. OS, Board,etc..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:35 PM

You didn't say whether the power connector is the old 4-pin type for IDE/ATA drives or the newer S-ATA type. The 4-pin types are very simple and you will probably be able to see any manufacturing defects. With the supposedly bad connector try pulling firmly on each of the 4 wires in turn. If any pull out then the cable is defective.

If the connector is the S-ATA type it will have 8 wires. Pull each one of them firmly to see if any pull out.

If no wires were pulled out by you tugging on them try using the original bad connector again just to see if it happens to work. If not, either plan never to use that connector or return the power supply for a replacement.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

Try replacing the BIOS (motherboard) battery. If it is bad when the power is off the BIOS will reset to default and clear all enters. This includes HD, CD/DVD, and add-ons, like video. This could result in hardware conflicts.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

Specs are, Epox EP-8rda PRO, XP3200+, 80gig Maxtor, CORSAIR XMS 1GB, Cooler Master 430W Power supply and Windows XP Pro.

Four pin IDE connector.

Thanks

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:53 PM

The four-pin Molex connector could have been fine, but the rail on the power supply could have been bonkers. This is a good time to have a power supply tester or at least a multimeter. They aren't expensive, but they will show if there is no power at a plug. There are connectors for the main power plug, the four-pin, the regular Molex and separate LED's to show that everything's OK. They have their limitations, but can show that the lights are on, even if nobody's home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users