Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Power

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikesr25

mikesr25

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

I have a friend who asked me if I could remove an FBI virus from his laptop. I had the same virus sometime last year on my desktop and removed it using Malwarebytes in safemode. I couldn't get his laptop to boot into safe mode so, I tried to use Windows Defender Offline from a usb drive to boot and remove the malware. The laptop booted and I began running the scan. I went outside to smoke a cigarette and when I returned to the laptop there was no power. The power cord has a little green light on it that wasn't lit up. I unplugged the power cord from the wall and the laptop then plugged it back into the wall. The green light came on. When I plug the cord into the laptop the light goes out. I tried using a different power cord and the same thing happened.

I disconnected the battery, hard drive, cd drive, ram, keyboard, and lcd screen and plugged the power cord back in (plugged back in each time I removed another part) and the same thing keeps happening. The battery has a button on it to see how charged it is and all the lights come on, fully charged battery. I tried to power on the laptop with just the battery (no power cord) and still nothing happens.

Any ideas to what may be causing this to happen?

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2013 - 12:06 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

I have a friend who asked me if I could remove an FBI virus from his laptop. I had the same virus sometime last year on my desktop and removed it using Malwarebytes in safemode. I couldn't get his laptop to boot into safe mode so, I tried to use Windows Defender Offline from a usb drive to boot and remove the malware. The laptop booted and I began running the scan. I went outside to smoke a cigarette and when I returned to the laptop there was no power. The power cord has a little green light on it that wasn't lit up. I unplugged the power cord from the wall and the laptop then plugged it back into the wall. The green light came on. When I plug the cord into the laptop the light goes out. I tried using a different power cord and the same thing happened.

I disconnected the battery, hard drive, cd drive, ram, keyboard, and lcd screen and plugged the power cord back in (plugged back in each time I removed another part) and the same thing keeps happening. The battery has a button on it to see how charged it is and all the lights come on, fully charged battery. I tried to power on the laptop with just the battery (no power cord) and still nothing happens.

Any ideas to what may be causing this to happen?

Generally, if you have taken the laptop off A/C power, removed the battery, waited a minute or so, and then tried to restart the laptop from the A/C adapter without the battery, and it still won't boot, you probably have a bad mainboard. If you repeat the process with the HDD and optical drive removed, that's almost certainly a bad MOBO. If the board were OK, you should at least get to the splash screen. If the A/C adapter were bad, the battery shouldn't show as charged. Anyway, you can take a direct reading off the A/C adapter with a multimeter to verify it's operational state.  This kind of stuff happens when you are dealing with a system that's on the edge of failure.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#3 mikesr25

mikesr25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Well, I know the A/C adapter is good because I used it with another laptop. And yeah, the battery is good and fully charged because before the laptop died the battery charged with no problems. It just sucks that the motherboard died in my hands, like I did something wrong, it was running fine until I went to smoke a cigarette. I looked on ebay for another motherboard and it was like $100. The laptop is pretty old, so I'm going to suggest my friend just buys a new laptop.

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Try clearing the bios and see if that helps. Costs nothing and is not hard to do. Could be that the bios got messed up by what you did.

In case you don't know how to clear the bios, what you do is power down the machine, then look for two terminals  labeled "clr cmos" and short circuit them together for a few seconds. If you can't find any "clr cmos" terminals, then you have to take out the mobo battery, (Be careful trying that because some laptops have them soldered in), then if successful, short the negative and positive battery terminals together for a few seconds to drain any capacitance, which will cause the bios settings to revert to their defaults.

Once that is done, put the mobo battery back in, reconnect the power to the machine, then try to see if it will boot with the bios reset to its defaults.

#5 mikesr25

mikesr25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Well, I couldn't find the "clr cmos" terminals. I don't understand how to "short the negative and positive battery terminals together for a few seconds to drain any capacitance". I did see the cmos battery and disconnected it, it's not soldered on this laptop. I still don't understand why the A/C Adapter light goes out when I plug it into the laptop, or how with a fully charged battery nothing happens. Unless that's what happens when the mobo is dead.

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

With the machine powered down, (turned OFF), take the mobo battery out of its socket, then use a screwdriver or some other metal object to briefly touch both of the mobo battery terminals silmultaneously, (electrically connecting them together- Negative and Positive). This will cause any "Capacitance" in the bios system to drain, thereby allowing the bios to go to its default settings. You booted from a USB drive to perform some rather unusual function, and that might have altered the bios settings.

Edited by JHMcG, 14 July 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#7 mikesr25

mikesr25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

OK, I did that and still nothing. dang it! If the cpu died, wouldn't the laptop still power up? I talked to my friend and told him what is going on and he said he liked this laptop and would like to get it fixed. I told him I saw a motherboard on ebay for like $100 and he said he'd think about it and let me know. I'm just afraid he'd spend $100 on another motherboard and the laptop still wont work. I don't know what to do? I'm thinking maybe telling him, like a doctor, he should take his laptop to a shop for another diagnosis.

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

Viruses don't generally cause hardware failures, though they could in theory cause hardware to perform improperly. i.e. do the wrong thing. You need someone more expert than me at this point. If you can't get the right answer here, then try going to this site :  http://www.computerforum.com/  and post your problem in the "Computer Security" section there. They have a guy who goes by the name "johnb35" who is an absolute expert at dealing with virus problems.

#9 mikesr25

mikesr25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

OK, I posted on that site, Thanks. And, my friend did say he wants me to find a motherboard to fix his laptop. I looked on ebay and he said maybe I should look on amazon. I'm going to hold off for a bit and see what happens on this other site. Again, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users