Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a new Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kinetic

Kinetic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hi guys,

I would like some feedback on this build. I'm not entirely sure if everything is compatible or not. Also, is the power supply on the bottom of the case a good idea? will it heat the floors?

Lastly, a graphics card is not mandatory right? The motherboard has no integrated graphics but this PC will be mainly used for surfing the web and watching a few videos here and there.

Feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Case + PSU 

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1709407&CatId=1844

Motherboard 

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7839174&CatId=7162

Processor 

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7651322&CatId=7342

RAM 

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=708908&CatId=4534

Storage 

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1083959&CatId=2459

Optical Drive

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6078414&CatId=1624

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

If you aren't going to be using the PC for gaming, a large GPU isn't needed and thus you don't need a very powerful PSU.  A PSU can be on the bottom of a case, I've had PC's with it on top and I've had some with it on the bottom.  If the fans are working properly, the heat should go out the back of the case.

In terms of the motherboard and CPU, I would very much consider an AMD APU-based system given that it is a good mix of processing power and graphics.  That CPU you chose is very low end and you could have problems with performance should you do anything requiring better graphics or processing power, such as HD video.  For a motherboard, I would go for the GIGABYTE GA-F2A85XM-D3H FM2 AMD A85X which is a little more higher-end, or you can get the MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 FM2 AMD A75.  The main differences between the two shouldn't matter given your use case, but A85X-based board allows for Crossfire and up to eight SATA devices.  If you don't need those features, save your money and go for A75.

If you go for either of those motherboards, you need an FM2 compatible CPU/APU.  Thankfully, there are a number of compatible chips for those boards spanning a large performance spectrum.  The AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz is roughly equal to what you chose, but the graphics are better.  The next step up is the AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz which is a little more powerful.  Beyond that, you enter quad core territory with the AMD A8-5500 Trinity 3.2GHz which is much more powerful, and $30 more than the 5400K.

Don't forget, you need an operating system:  Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit.

3939.png

#3 Kinetic

Kinetic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I apologies I didn't mention this earlier but I'm on a very tight budget. The PC will be mainly used for browsing the web and to watch a few videos on youtube, hence I picked all low-end components. Would you suggest I get the AMD processor and the A75 still?

This is my first time building a PC so I'm very bad at this :P

Also, I read the BC Pinned thread in this sub forum and it said I need Thermal Compound. Would that be needed if I just browse news sites, youtube?

Thanks!!

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Building your first PC is always a bit stressful, ask as many questions as you like!

The AMD setup in this case is only marginally more expensive and offers a better experience.  Most web browsers and several other non-gaming applications offload page rendering to the GPU, same is true with Flash, and most video players also utilize the GPU.  It is for this reason, I say go with an A75 system.  Now, as for the processor, the A4 CPU is closest to the Celeron you chose, but has a better GPU, the A6 is even faster with a slightly better GPU on the chip over the A4, and the A8 is a large jump in speed in both the CPU and GPU.  You have to choose which you're willing to spend the money on.

As for the thermal compound, you absolutely need it.  That said, AMD and Intel include it pre-applied to their heatsinks so you don't have to buy a standalone tube of the stuff.  Gamers and people using aftermarket coolers tend to use their own compound as there are better brands on the market than the cheap stuff processor manufacturers use.  The thermal compound is intended to fill in machining marks and provide a better conductive surface to transfer heat.

3939.png

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Generally, I'd concur with DJBPace07. All the same, you need to have some idea of what you want to do with your system. And, of course, your budget. Currently, most of the systems I'm building for business and home users are FM2 Trinity based machines. Haven't had a chance yet to work with the Richland APUs but I'm eager. Anyway, for the majority of users, I think AMD's APUs offer the best bang for the buck. Comparably priced Intel processors offer slightly better gaming performance, but Trinity's offer better performance with most other apps and far better graphics. If you're playing WOW or something similar, Trinity APUs will certainly deliver all the performance you need.

In 14 years in business, I've used about every motherboard on the planet, but recently, I've pretty much standardized on Gigabyte boards. Regardless of what features you might want on the board, I'd choose one with UEFI rather than the older BIOS system.

Personally, I'm not a fan of TigerDirect's Ultra X cases. In fact, if I had to pick a single area where you shouldn't cut corners, it would be the power supply. You can get an OK case w/o power supply in about the same price range as the Ultra X case, but I'd plan on spending about $60 to $80 for a decent PSU. Unsure about how much power you need? Check out this power supply calculator.

My last grump would be with your HDD. I'd choose a Western Digital over a Seagate anytime, and cheerfully spend a few extra bucks. Asus is my optical drive of choice, so no quibbles there. You might find it elsewhere a little cheaper, but $6 or so isn't a big deal on a new build.

Anyway, support for Trinity APUs is virtually ubiquitous, but if you are shopping for a MOBO with Richland support, you need to be very careful. Some boards won't work, some will work only with a firmware upgrade.  

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users