Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Icons, Task Bar, Start Menu Or Program Associations

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pballah

pballah

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

Running 3 computers with Windows 2000 professional and service pack 4 on a hub with LAN. They are networked to a server running Windows 2000 Server.

Installation issues with a Symantec product sent my now-former administrator into a frenzy and departure without explanation.
The results I've been left with is one of my computers ("D") has these issues:

No destop icons
No Task bar or Start menu
No network connection
Task Manager does not show Explorer.exe
Task Manager will not run new tasks, giving an error of "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing the action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel".

The local account logon does the same.
Safe Mode does the same.

How this may have happened (from the Symantec paper trail I've been able to find):

Account "Administrator" logged onto workgroup computer "D" and made changes to the Symantec registry keys for Windows 2000 by regedt32.

On HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE he went to Security and allowed full control for all Names. He then confirmed all acounts had Permissions set to Full Control, with "Inherent permissions from parent" included.

This process was repeated in:
HKEY _ CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_USERS

The server sees computer "D" in the network, but the drives are not showing up.

If the registry was backed up prior to this, I don't know where it might be.

Your help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

Since nobody had taken a crack at this, I will start this off with some suggestions.

To start, if you do have a copy of an disk imaging software, I would recommend that you create an image of the computer in case there is something that your recover attempts may destroy. At least with an image of your computer, you would be able to extract the data using the imaging software - if you use something like Ghost. Since you have been able to login to Windows you are at the point where using the last known good configuration will not help. Although it may be worth an attempt at this point....what do you have to lose... Please see this article for more information - What is the Last Known Good configuration and what can it do to help me?.

Another step in the recovery process might be to try a repair install of Windows 2000. The following article explains the process a little further -Windows 2000 ERD and Recovery Console. Here's another link with some heplful screen shots of the various Windows 2000 installs. You would probably take the "manual repair without ERD". Here's the site - Windows 2000 Professional Install Guides

There are also several options in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit that will give a little more knowledge about the options that you have. Repairing a Windows 2000 Installation

I don't have a magic one line fix that will resolve the issue, but hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps. Good-Luck.
JC

#3 pballah

pballah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for the help!
All to no avail, though.

I bit the bullet and had a professional diagnostic run. They couldn't get any response out of Task Manager, either.
Soooo... data was saved and Windows reinstalled.
*poof!*

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

Take care.
JC