Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TROJAN-makes my computer constantly crash!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BooBabe

BooBabe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 30 May 2004 - 03:19 PM

AVG alerts me that I have a C:/systemvolumeinformatin\restore_(whole bunch of numbers here) virus. My computer consistanly crashes and I think that this is the problem. I can't get rid of this virus, and need some suggestions. No program is able to identify it!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 30 May 2004 - 03:39 PM

Hi - You may also have Spyware or Adware slowing down your system (you might try Spybot Search and Destroy or Adaware - do a google search for links).

If you have virus protection software, try it in SAFE MODE with the SYSTEM RESTORE turned OFF, as that's where the remanents of the virus are currently.

HOW TO START YOUR PC IN SAFE MODE
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=601

HOW TO DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE for Windows ME or XP
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=668

Try this as a free way of double checking or Trend Micro's "House Call"

McAfee's new FREE SCAN (an online detection only tool)
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=3812

HOW TO CLEAN A DIFFICULT VIRUS
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=679

Good luck to you :thumbsup:

#3 BioHazard

BioHazard

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:57 PM

something else to try out is disable the system restore.
change the settings in explorer to show all files and dont have any hidden.
then delete the old backups.
start system restore back up after a scan and create a system restore point.. you will have lost the old ones but antivirus software wont touch the restore stuff..

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,583 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:13 PM

BooBabe, you can find instructions on how to use System Restore in our tutorial:
Windows XP System Restore Guide.
Managing Windows Millenium System Restore

If you disable System Restore and then re-enble it, that will delete all your restore points which are stored in the systemvolumeinformation folder. This will remove what AVG is warning you about. But nothing in your restore points is actively affecting or infecting your PC. Anything in systemvolumeinformation is locked down and won't affect you unless you use System Restore to go back to an earlier time. So your crashes are not related to what is in the systemvolumeinformation folder. Most likely you are infected with a virus/trojan or even more likely one of the new very nasty hijackers/parasites.

Harry has given you some good advice on how to check for and clean viruses. If you submit a HijackThis log for us to look at we can get a good idea of what is going on and how to correct it.

I strongly recommend that you read the following and do what is suggested:
How to use this Forum

There is a link to HijackThis in the page linked to above . Once you have HijackThis in it's own folder, open HijackThis.exe and click Scan. The Scan button will turn into a Save Log button. Click that, save the log somewhere convenient like My Documents, then copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next reply to this thread.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#5 harrywaldron

harrywaldron

Security Reporter

• Members
  • 509 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:41 AM

One more quick point is that while AV products can remove worms and viruses, they may not always repair the damages to Windows and it's registry after removal. If you can locate the name of the virus, that's essential. Spyware and Hijackers can also cause a lot of issues. I'd work one step at a time, making sure your system is as clean as possible. Then if things don't clear up you may need to run Windows in a repair mode or reload it in the original directory to complete repairs.

Edited by harrywaldron, 31 May 2004 - 05:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users