Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New sound card has issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 theotherlucas

theotherlucas

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Hi all. First post. Bear with me, please.  I'm running win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP-1. I just installed a soundblaster SB1356 audio card. I love the sound improvement, but my front speakers are all that work. the sound card control panel shows everything working properly. If I press "test", all four speakers work. I hope I'm just overlooking something. My mobo is Asus CM5671. Also, when I used to plug in my USB headset, it would bypass my speakers. Now, absolutely nothin'.  Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

To take your problems in reverse, looking at the specs from here

http://www.excaliberpc.com/611498/creative-sound-blaster-recon3d-fatal1ty.html#TabDescription

it doesn't appear to support USB headphones - there is a dedicated headphone jack on the rear panel which takes a standard small jackplug - is it 3.5mm? - so for headphone sound you seem to have three options. First, buy a set of non-USB connected cans; second see if you can find a jackplug to USB converter lead, and I am not sure that such a thing exists; third, switch to the on-board sound system when using cans - this does of course negate the beauty of the sound from your new sound card !

For your speaker problem, you say the surround speakers are working in 'Test' mode. I have no direct experience of your Sound Blaster card, but in the set-up for my Xonar card you can choose different speaker configurations. Are you sure you have selected the correct configuration ?  I am only an occasional gamer so I am quite happy with having merely stereo speakers only !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 theotherlucas

theotherlucas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Thank you for your response. I thought the USB issue might be card related, but I hadn't found anything to confirm one way or another. As for configuration, I've tried everything I can find, both Windows and soundblaster, and it looks like it should work. It doesn't. So, I'm still confused.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Now I'm getting a little confused !  Your sound card is 5.1 capable, that normally means five speakers - front pair, rear pair and sub-woofer - all driven through some form of home theatre or A/V sound system. And you can connect from your sound card to the amplifier either by 3-cable analogue or optical S/PDIF. Page 12 of the QuickStart guide refers. How are you tryng to connect your speakers ?

As for your USB cans, I'm afraid Creative's own specs make no mention of this facility - you have a choice of using the 3.5mm jack on the sound card itself, or using the front panel extension connector to use the jack on the front of your computer. It looks like a new set of cans !  Still, it appears the sound quality will justify the expense - get something tasty.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 theotherlucas

theotherlucas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hi Chris, Thanks for getting back to me. I don't have a sub-woofer, so I'm running stereo front and rear.I have the speakers plugged directly into the card. Only the front pair works. It's not the speakers, because if I plug the rear speakers into the front speaker jack, they work. I keep telling myself it's some stupid little thing I'm overlooking, but I really can't find anything. As for the USB headset, I think you're right. I'm going to have to find headphones that I can plug into the card. Any thing else you can think of will be appreciated. I'm out of ideas.

Mike Lucas

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

I used to have a Sound Blaster until I switched over to Win 7 and it wasn't supported !  Which is why I now have an Asus Xonar D1. As I said, I am only an occasional gamer and am willing to settle for standard stereo sound - it works fine for radio and CDs which is what I listen to mainly. But, looking at the control panel for my Xonar there is a wide range of output options, and I imagine your Sound Blaster has the same options ( at least ).

Audio channel - set to 4

Sample rate     - set to PCM 96kHz ( this is the default and it seems to work fine )

Analogue out   - set to 4 ( choices include 2, 4, 5.1, 7.1, FP headphone, FP 2 speakers )

Before you can say for certain that you have a real problem, you need to make sure that the soundtrack you are playing has rear-speaker sound.

You say that your front speakers are working fine, and that your rear speakers are also working when you plug them into the front speaker socket. As a test, have you tried plugging your front speakers into the rear speaker socket ?  Remember you have three line out sockets on that sound card - make sure you are using the correct ones.

If all else fails, have a look at Creative's FAQs and forums, assuming they have one and perhaps contact their Help, or your supplier. It's not impossible that you have a faulty card, or some other problem with your computer may be preventing it working properly. You could also try re-seating the card.

Good luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#7 theotherlucas

theotherlucas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hi Chris, I actually had some success. I went back to the card's control panel, and found an unchecked box that referred to surround, and got my rear speakers working. I'm embarrassed that I didn't see it sooner. It does depend on the source, but at least, I know it works. Also, my USB cans do work on Skype and google talk and the like, but I'll have to get a different pair for music and movies and games that plugs directly into the card. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. It got me where I wanted to be.

Mike Lucas

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Glad you got it working - it's amazing how little things like this turn round and bite us in the backside !

Chris Cosgrove

#9 theotherlucas

theotherlucas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Ain't it the truth!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users