Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

toshiba satellite A205-S5853 shuts off randomly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

I have the above laptop with windows 7 on it, fresh install.  Problem is that whenever Im running the laptop in normal mode, the laptop shutsoff randomly even with no programs running.  I did some research on this and read that the nvidia graphics chips sometimes heat up and cuse this.  However, when I start the laptop in safe mode, this random behaviour of shutdown does not happen.  So it seems that there is some driver or device that gets started in normal mode that causes this shutdown behaviour.  How would I go about finding what driver it is, if my deduction is correct? 

Could there be any other cause

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Hi shashman,

As you have said this is a "fresh install". " Safemode starts" use limited start-up resources. I would start by analyzing what programs are running

at start-up here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx?ocid=fwlink

Then it  is a process of elimination as to what program is the cause of the issue. It is tedious but by preventing some programs to start will narrow the root cause.

Also you could run sfc /scannow using the elevated command prompt. It will attempt to repair any corrupt files found.

Since this is a fresh install that alternative is a possibility not a probability.

Regards............

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

To add to that, your first hunch may be correct. When PCs and laptops randomly shut down like that, it's usually caused by overheating of one or more of the chipsets. When you boot into safe mode, your computer is using a generic video driver, not the one it normally uses with the graphics chip. This minimal driver would use fewer resources, thus keeping the graphics chip from working as hard and possibly overheating.

But I would still recommend going through the process of elimination recommended above, just to be absolutely sure.

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Overheating definitely will cause serious problems and perhaps this is indeed the underlying cause. Laptops, due to their construction of having so much

in such a small environment, are prone to overheating issues. From what I understand Toshiba owners often suffer this problem.

Maybe you should try methods of increasing air circulation through a fan placed underneath and assuring that all vents are unobstructed.

Trial and error may lead to a solution providing all else fails. And maybe you can run it normally. Just a thought.

Good Luck

Regards..............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users