Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jay56

Jay56

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:28 PM

Edit: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm new to the site.

I use linksys Wireless internet and recently i took out my old computer for my games. Now for a few days everything worked fine (except I.E couldn't open which had been a problem for a long time). I noticed it was running slow so i did a BIG virus scan and came up with a lot of viruses, i cleared them and everything went wacky. The internet connection stopped working, my games wouldn't open but I.E started opening. I've been trying to get a stable connection for quite some time now, still no luck. Now when i try to connect it thinks i'm using a Dial up connection. Now i'm wondering if theres a possible way i can Restore my Internet connection options to default so i can start fresh, and then from there i have a guide to help me out. My modem is connected right and everything, it just doesn't seem to find a signal, but it gets one perfectly upstairs on my other computer and this one as well.

if you need anymore information ill try and post it, but i basically tried to say everything that happened.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jay

Edited by Jay56, 18 April 2006 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jay56

Jay56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:17 PM

Just got a cable to directly hook up the router to the computer, but now its saying i have limited or no conectivity. Help please, all my other internet connections work fine.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Jay56, 19 April 2006 - 05:47 PM.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

It's not hard to break an internet connection when removing malware. That's because the malware either adds files or corrupts them.

Chances are you have a broken winsock. Layered Service Providers are put into your winsock stack by malware, and when they are removed, they leave blank spaces where they were. They have to be numbered and sequential. You can repair the winsock in several ways, but the first one to try is LSP fix. When you use it, don't check the "I know what I'm doing" box. If you can't see the "Finish" button on the bottom right corner, drag the corner of the window down a bit so that you can. (I noticed this happening sometimes.)

You can download this file from another computer and copy it to a floppy or other media, then put it on the other computer. You'll need some kind of unzip tool to uncompress the file, like Winzip. (Most of us folks using older operating systems have something like that already. If you don't, we can point you in the right direction.)

There's no reason to think that because you ran an antivirus program you're home free. I'd recommend using some other programs as well, and if you still have problems post a log in the HijackThis forum. It takes a while to get noticed there because of the heavy load, but the folks there know what they're about. If you do decide to post there, read this first.

#4 Jay56

Jay56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:17 AM

Dear Herk,
Thanks a ton! That program did the trick and i can acces the internet now. Thanks again, those internet problems made me want to destroy that computer :thumbsup:

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

You're very welcome. Glad I could be of help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users