Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot loop during boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scard

Scard

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hi.

I've got a computer with an Asus P5QPL-AM Motherboard, two sata hdd, one 1TB Seagate and one Kingston HyperX 3K SSD. I run Windows 7 32-bit on the Seagate and Windows 8 64-bit on the Kingston ssd. Recently I hibernated while running Windows 7, and when I turned it on this morning it got to the log in screen as usual. However when I had logged in the screen showed my desktop and open programs, but I couldn't move my mouse and it didn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

I rebooted the computer but now it finishes the BIOS POST message, then goes black for 5 second and then reboots before it can reach where you would normally select which OS to boot. It keeps on doing this, I've let it go for at least 5 repetitions without any change. There's no computer beeps at all so no errorcode that I can check.

I figured it might still be a BIOS issue, so I did a CMOS clear, but it didn't help. After that I tried to boot Linux from Hiren's bootCD and it succeded. I could see the connected sata drives and navigate the folders on them. Then I rebooted the computer anddetached the ssd drive yet the problem remained. I tried detaching the Seagate drive but then it asked me to reboot and select a proper boot device or insert a boot medium into the boot device.

Anyone got any idea what's happened and steps to fix it? I wonder if it might be a corrupted MBR from a virus or something, but I'm not skilled enough at pre-operating system stuff to dare do something without asking for advice first.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and help.

(btw I thought I already had an account here, but couldn't remember the login details, is there any way to request new password? Or have you perhaps had a purge of inactive accounts sometime?)

Edited by Scard, 13 July 2013 - 09:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

<<btw I thought I already had an account here, but couldn't remember the login details, is there any way to request new password? Or have you perhaps had a purge of inactive accounts sometime?)>>

Send me the details...via PM...of your old account/name/password, when established and let us know if your IP has changed from then to now...and I'll see what I can find out.

Louis

#3 Scard

Scard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

Well, after asking around among my friends I managed to procure a Win 7 recovery medium. A simple bootrec.exe /FixMbr using the command prompt there was enough to get the computer booting again. Still no idea what the problem was though, so I got the computer doing a full boot-time virus scan.

You can mark this thread as solved I guess :)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

Congrats on your resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users