Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

safe networking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 riztareen

riztareen

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

hiii.....my problem is that 2 of my neighbours are using my internet one is on left side who is using internet through wifi and he is  a master in software and hardware and runing a shop for the software and hardware problems.the other one on right side is a computer engineering and using my net through lan and i m located in middle of them.the problem is that i m not expert in computers and i m scared if they can access to my system and steal my personal data like fotos videos and documents.i want you experties to help me to secure my system or network so that no one can see into my laptop or computer or any other mobile devices like ios and android.

i have a laptop with windows 8 and a desktop win xp on the same network also i m using iphone 4 and glaxy s3 on same network.

last night i installed advanced ip scanner and i found that one of them is using a DSL Riuter (micro_httpd) this is also a FTP icon below this router name and i m scared that what is this ftp and what can it do.

plz guide me step by step how to configure my laptop and pc for not sharing any thing and to make my system more secure as they r both computer masters and can do every thing i m atttaching the scrnshot of advanced ip scanner and wil provide any info that wil be needed.

also plz tell me what is that users folder below my name riztareen can they access my pc through this folder and how to turn it off.

i trust bleepingcomputer cuz it helped me clean a virus 2 years before plz take my post serious and ans me as fast as possible cuz i m in contineius tension.

thanks all

riztareen

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 riztareen

riztareen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

still waiting with crossed fingers

#3 riztareen

riztareen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

you are ALL son of a bleep who didnt replied me

#4 GodfatherKing

GodfatherKing

• Members
  • 587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

I give this advice what security side...

In your case: a VPN (Virtual Private Network) would be also a good option.

:step1: My advice is to keep your computer up to date with Windows Updates, Java and Adobe Reader and Flash Player.

:step2: Use WOT to inspect sites if they are safe or not :http://www.mywot.com/

:step3: A good working AntiVirus is also important. I personally advice Avast free or Avira. MSE it's detection is not so great.

:step4: Let's check how good your security is:

Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2 SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.

If you have received help from me and I don't have respond to you for almost >= 3 days, send me a Private Message.  :hello:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

You should be able to set the router up with WPA2-PSK which would make so that anyone wanting access to your router would have to have your password.

What is WPA2-PSK? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer Dictionary

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

If you do not trust your neighbors you should not be sharing a network with them. This question is the equivalent of - I have given my neighbors the keys to my house, how do I keep them out.  That being said some options to isolate your computers from you neighbors would be:

1. See if your router / Get a router that supports guest wifi networks or multiple wireless networks AND ask the neighbor that is hardlined to switch to wireless

or

2. Get a business class router that supports vlans (virtual networks)

or

3. Run firewall software and set custom rules restricting ip address ranges

or

4. Run two routers one right behind the other (not recommended, double nat can cause issues)

as for your attached picture the router is what allows you to share internet with your neighbors and the ftp function is probably for an ftp server that some routers support nowadays; I would have to know the model of router to be sure.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 02 August 2013 - 10:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users