Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CReating a Restore Point in W8 and remove some of the crap that was pre loaded

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ImmaNoob

ImmaNoob

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

Hi,

I purchased a new laptop as a bridge until I can get a new desk top. It has W8 and came pre loaded with NIS, which I hate. I'm sure it also came with other un-necessary stuff that I would like to remove. But before doing so I would like to create a restore point so in case I decide to get a different laptop within the next 2 weeks I can give it back the way I bought it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

Most laptops come with a recovery partition that you can use to return the pc to factory specs. This is your best option if you do decide to return it as evidence of your use and even some personal information can be left behind by simply doing a system restore as opposed to a factory restore which will wipe the drive and make everything as it was when you bought it. Check your manual for info on the factory restore.

As far as removing NIS, remove it as you would any program through Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features (if thats hasn't changed from Win 7, no Win 8 here but you'll find it). Once that is done you can then download run the Norton Removal tool from the URL below to clean up any leftovers.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080828154508EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 ImmaNoob

ImmaNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

will try that in a few. BTW does Malwarebytes, WinPatrol and Microsoft Security Essentials work on here too? Or should I get Different programs for W8?

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Most likely they do, you can check on the download pages to be sure.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

will try that in a few. BTW does Malwarebytes, WinPatrol and Microsoft Security Essentials work on here too? Or should I get Different programs for W8?

Malwarebytes and WinPatrol both support Windows 8. As for MSE see here:

Windows 8 comes with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, but it sure feels and looks that way.

Hope this helps (MSE does not work on Windows 8 computers, but for all purposes sake Windows Defender is MSE)

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Yep, Windows 8 already incorporates AV and Antimalware protection as Windows Defender. Unfortunately, it isn't any more effective in Windows 8 than other versions of Windows where it goes by the name of Microsoft Security Essentials. At best, it's a B- to B product. MBAM runs just fine in Win8, and it will co-exist just fine with Defender. Hopefully, you've coughed up the cash for MBAM Pro; it's one of the smartest security decisions you can make. I can't comment on WinPatrol, since I've never used it, or had to support it on a client's computer.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#7 ImmaNoob

ImmaNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Yep, Windows 8 already incorporates AV and Antimalware protection as Windows Defender. Unfortunately, it isn't any more effective in Windows 8 than other versions of Windows where it goes by the name of Microsoft Security Essentials. At best, it's a B- to B product. MBAM runs just fine in Win8, and it will co-exist just fine with Defender. Hopefully, you've coughed up the cash for MBAM Pro; it's one of the smartest security decisions you can make. I can't comment on WinPatrol, since I've never used it, or had to support it on a client's computer.

That I did :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users