Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Won't Use Ethernet Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheJBizz

TheJBizz

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hello!

I've been given a motherboard from a friend, and I'm using it in a spare computer to run Windows 7. However, it seems it won't connect to the internet through an ethernet cable; it recognizes the connection and gives a green light with an intermittent orange blink, but the OS itself won't seem to acknowledge that there's a connection. I know the cable and the modem and the router works because I can hook it up to my other PC and have it connect just fine. Looking through the BIOS didn't seem to reveal anything, although I'm not quite sure what to look for.

Is there anything that can be done?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

I don't see any mention of drivers being installed for the system networking device. 

If you did a motherboard switch...and are using a hard drive with drivers/settings for a different motherboard...then I would expect problems of varying types.

Just where are you seeing these green/orange lights, please?

System in question or motherboard if self-built originally installed?

Current motherboard?

Louis

#3 TheJBizz

TheJBizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

I haven't installed any drivers, no. I don't know which ones I'll need. My friend had previously been using this mobo, so I assumed it was capable of connecting to the internet.

The SSD I'm running W7 on I just purchased new, so I'd imagine there are no drivers or settings already assumed. I was able to format the HDD in the OS.

The lights are from the ethernet port.

I think the current motherboard is an N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX. I don't remember the older one, and I think it was a self-built before I got my hands on it.

Edit: I think I've found the drivers I need. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5049553&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=5035348&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4063

I'll try putting these on a USB drive and installing them on the other computer through there.

Edit 2: dxdiag revealed that my BIOS drivers were 3 years old. I've installed the latest drivers from HP for my motherboard and my graphics driver (which incidentally solved another problem - the DVI cable wasn't being recognized by the monitor). The internet is still not working, though.

Edited by TheJBizz, 13 July 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#4 TheJBizz

TheJBizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:36 AM

And it looks like I'm an idiot! Installing the original networking driver made it work. I guess I didn't consider that the motherboard wouldn't have the drivers it originally had.

I guess this topic is solved. Thank you for your help.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

Easily done, happy computing :).

Drivers must be installed...for vide, audio, networking, etc. capabilities...and drivers are related directly to the motherboard.  if the system is an OEM (Dell, HP, Acer, et alia), then the drivers are provided by the system manufacturer.  A change of motherboard...calls for a new set of drivers to be installed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users