Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows security center wont start. unable to turn on firewall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vinay.

Vinay.

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

This is my 1st post in bleeping computers. This is the second time I am facing this issue. My windows security center wont turn on. I followed few Microsoft articles and tried registry fix, still no fix!!! I contacted my computer manufacturer tech support and complete OS reinstallation was done. This is the second time I had to do a factory reset on my computer. I still don't have an answer why this happened and what caused this issue. I suspected virus and ran trojan remover, malwarebytes, super anti, hitmanpro and my antivirus program McAfee. No virus found. But still my security center was disabled. I finally gave up and contacted my computer's tech support and they informed most of my computer's windows files were corrupt and they could not start windows services like windows firewall were not working and suggested me factory reset. I want to know what caused this issue and what should I do to avoid this issue in future. Is there a software or scan that can fix this issue without having to do OSRI? Could I have tried something before doing factory reset?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:08 AM

Hello Vinay and Welcome -

Do you have any idea of the actual "infection name" or did the people you contacted give you any further information ?

Can I ask who were the people that you contacted (sales or makers), and basically what they did for you.

Are you able to operate the computer and connect to the internet now ??

Can we gather a bit of information please -

FIRST : Please download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.
Close any Firefox browsers you may have open while you Reset Firefox Settings
Checkmark the following boxes:
•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and copy / paste the result (Result.txt).

NEXT : Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE
* Save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please Copy / Paste the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

File corruption occurs for many varied reasons.

Causes of Data Corruption - http://ezinearticles.com/?Causes-of-Data-Corruption&id=817785

Data corruption and loss causes and avoidance - http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html

Along with data/file corruption...your partition structure can become damaged and your hard drive could be failing.

Louis

#4 Vinay.

Vinay.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hello, 

My computer is working fine now, as I mentioned earlier OS re-installation was done on my computer and now its working fine. I had contacted my computer Manufacturer (tech support). They did not give any specific details about what had happened to my computer. Since most of my data was backed up to external HDD, they helped me restore my computer to factory defaults. Now everything seems to be running fine. I just finished re-installing MS office 2013. Thank you for all your reply. Next time before contacting tech support, I will post my PC issues here in this forum. :) 

Thank you!!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Good luck, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users