Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bradysp

Bradysp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

I need to transfer my hard drive from my old lap top to it's replacement which is the same model but when I swapped the drives the new computer would not recognize my old hard drive.  Is there some way to format my old drive to work on the new computer?  If not can I use an exterior drive enclosure?  The computer is a 7600 series Acer with a 500 gb WD drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

Unless the systems have exactly alike hardware components...your chances of successfully switching a hard drive to a new system...are slim.

What is the reason for the replacement system?

Does the BIOS of the replacement system...reflect the hard drive properly when attached?

Since this is an Acer/OEM system...the Acer software may also be a complicating factor.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

When Windows is installed it recognizes information from the chipset and becomes part of the startup process.  If you take a hdd that has had Windows installed on one computer and then install it in another it will see different information from the different chipset.  The operating system becomes confused and may not start, if it does there's still a good chance that it will eventually not start.  Your computer may be the same model, but there could be a difference in the chipset.

You could install it in an external enclosure to connect it to the new computer, then download a program like Ubuntu to access you files and transfer them to the new computer's hdd.

How to use Ubuntu to recover data from a hard drive.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  To do this please download ImgBurn.

When you open ImgBurn you will see a page like the one below.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on Write image file to disc outlined in red.

The next page to open will be like the one below.

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Click on the icon of the folder and magnifing glass outlined in red to the right of Source to locate the Ubuntu ISO file.  Place a CD in the optic drive and click Burn.

In order to boot from this disc you may need to enter the BIOS and make your CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

I might be misunderstanding your question, but have you thought of trying a SATA to USB adapter?  You can get said kits on sites like newegg.com - basically it lets you slave a hard drive and hook it into a USB port on a working computer to browse the drive like an external drive. You could then reformat the disk as well -

If you don't want to or can't buy the adapter, I've taken a hard drive out of one computer that was the master drive, and put it into a completely different computer - like the other gentlemen posted, it will not work if you try to boot the computer.  But, if you have a Windows disk (DVDRom, Bootable USB, etc.) and switch your BIOS to boot from disk, you can reformat the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows - keep in mind issues of drivers if it's an older computer. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Bradysp,

Newegg's website was down this morning when I last posted and was not able to suggest an external case for your hdd.  It is back up and have found a good exterior case for your hdd for $19.99 with free shipping.  This regularly runs $79.99, you can see it here.  The advantage over a SATA to USB adapter is that this case provides protection for the hdd and only has the USB cable to contend with.

If you use the method I've suggest to transfer your data to the new computer you can simply place these files in the appropriate locations and use that hdd for your C: drive.  You could then wipe the other hdd with a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke, format it and use it to a backup for your data.  This program overwrites the entire disk, you essentially will have clean slate to start with.

If you run into this situation again in the future and both motherboards have the same chipset you can use the instruction here to work around this potential problem. 

Edited by dc3, 13 July 2013 - 03:18 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

Just to throw my final two cents worth in - here is a link to a SATA to USB adapter that I purchased for my toolkit at work - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812196455&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-USB+Converters-_-N82E16812196455&gclid=CPS_rN6Gr7gCFSdgMgodrh0ACQ

I got this one as it was inexpensive and also has hook ups for older IDE hard drives, which I still come across from time to time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users