Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chance

chance

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:52 PM

I've already posted a problem I'm having but I didn't put this one in that post because I didn't feel it would be related. I run WindowsXP Home SP2 with an Intel Pentium 4 Processor 516 at 2.93GHz.

I'll just be at a particular website I frequent looking around and I'll suddenly hear my computer tower getting louder and when I click control alt delete, my CPU usage is at 100% and the webpages are so sluggish I can't do much if I get a page to load at all. I'm not sure what's causing it, it's never happened before and I've done the same thing almost every day for months without a problem.

Windows task manager shows that internet explorer is running at 99 in the CPU column while it's happening.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

How much RAM do you have? I see in another post you have DSL. Are you running a firewll? Is it blocking any traffic? Are you running antivirus and antispyware? Are they removing any items regularly?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 willmon18

willmon18

• Deactivated
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:20 AM

Also are you running your computer in Windows Classic theme? Because for some weird reason my computer was doing the same things. Also error messages came like when the computer starts up Generic Host Prossess for Win32 Services stoped responding. I recommend you change your desktop theme to Windows XP if you are using the Windows Classic theme. The Windows XP theme may use more resources but at least you will not be using a 100% of cpu usage all the time and getting error messages.
William Montgomery Walters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users