Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ocassional slow start up (Laptop with Win8)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PTime22

PTime22

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Got a new laptop a few weeks old that came with Windows 8.

Since then on three sporadic instances (maybe once a week) - when I turn on the computer to boot up, it takes a lot longer than usual... then eventually it shows the message "Preparing Windows." After that happens I get on and see my front page/start screen almost empty like it's in a default state with just a laptop manufacter icon and some other few things that look like a default start up when you turn on the laptop for the very first time after you get it.

I sign out and resign onto my user name and everything is back to normal.

I think the last thing I did prior to this last incident happening was using Windows Update, then shutting down after it was updated/installed. Could this be related?

What is causing these two issues (long boot time with Preparing Windows message, then the having to sign out and sign back in to access my regular start screen/desktop,etc? Is it a Windows 8 issue or potential hardware issue?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by PTime22, 12 July 2013 - 02:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Windows 8 is different than previous versions of wondows. It hibernates by default giving the illuison of a fast startup. A shutdown will normally take that shortcut. A 'restart' is however, always a complete shutdown and restart.

Updates do take time to install when shutting the machine down, but many will also complete their installation when the machine boots up again the next time - so yes, installing updates is ikely to slow down the next boot in two ways - firstly it will be a full boot, and secondly there is more work to do completing the update process before the machine is again ready for user logon. The 'preparing windows' message sounds very much like the tail end of an updates installation.

x64

(edit for spelling only)

Edited by x64, 12 July 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#3 PTime22

PTime22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Windows 8 is different than previous versions of wondows. It hibernates by default giving the illuison of a fast startup. A shutdown will normally take that shortcut. A 'restart' is however, always a complete shutdown and restart.

Updates do take time to install when shutting the machine down, but many will also complete their installation when the machine boots up again the next time - so yes, installing updates is ikely to slow down the next boot in two ways - firstly it will be a full boot, and secondly there is more work to do completing the update process before the machine is again ready for user logon. The 'preparing windows' message sounds very much like the tail end of an updates installation.

x64

(edit for spelling only)

Thanks for your expert and thorough explanation.

So next time I do a Windows Update I should restart before I do my usual "shut down" for the night?

What is causing this situation where when it boots after this that everything is like in a default state as if I just installed windows (With exception of my user name being already available and having to sign out and sign back in to reaccess My own themes, shortcuts, desktop etc.)

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

x64

(edit for spelling only)

You're wrong about this. If you choose Shut down from the Power Menu the computer shuts down. Restarting by pressing the power button displays the system's splash screen and whatever BIOS or UEFI information the system would normally display such as AHCI or RAID initialization info, etc. I work with a lot of Win8 systems, and I've built 4 to date. Shut down still means exactly what it says.

Of course, you're right about delays caused by installing Windows updates when a computer reboots and that's almost certainly why PTime22 is experiencing erratic boot times. All the same, it's worth noting that Win8 includes tools to monitor and log system performance. From the Control Panel, click Performance Information and Tools, then click Advanced tools on the left side of the window, and that will give you options to view performance details in the Event Log, or open Performance Monitor for a more comprehensive and detailed view of your system's performance.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

x64

(edit for spelling only)

So next time I do a Windows Update I should restart before I do my usual "shut down" for the night?

What is causing this situation where when it boots after this that everything is like in a default state as if I just installed windows (With exception of my user name being already available and having to sign out and sign back in to reaccess My own themes, shortcuts, desktop etc.)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but if you're saying that your video resolution is often wrong after an update and reboot, I share your pain. I don't think Windows 8 video drivers are very mature yet. Generally, though, you can correct this by simply right clicking on the Desktop, then selecting Screen resolution, and resetting to the correct value for your monitor; normally the max resolution setting available. It's quicker than a reboot, and if you have any Desktop shortcuts, it won't scramble them.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 PTime22

PTime22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

x64

(edit for spelling only)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here, but if you're saying that your video resolution is often wrong after an update and reboot, I share your pain. I don't think Windows 8 video drivers are very mature yet. Generally, though, you can correct this by simply right clicking on the Desktop, then selecting Screen resolution, and resetting to the correct value for your monitor; normally the max resolution setting available. It's quicker than a reboot, and if you have any Desktop shortcuts, it won't scramble them.

Basically when this "Preparing Windows" message happens during boot up and it takes longer (the three times it has happened), when I eventually get into Windows I see my laptop manufactuer's default skin (if that is the right term, the default laptop background, default short cuts etc) like I was turning on the laptop for the very first time before I customized it with my own wallpaper, shortcuts, etc.

I have to sign out and sign back in of my user name to reaccess my customized version with front page apps/desktop etc.

Sorry I am new to Win 8 so I'm not familiar with all the new terms on what the front screen is called with all those live apps.

Any guess as to what is causing this?

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

x64

(edit for spelling only)

Basically when this "Preparing Windows" message happens during boot up and it takes longer (the three times it has happened), when I eventually get into Windows I see my laptop manufactuer's default skin (if that is the right term, the default laptop background, default short cuts etc) like I was turning on the laptop for the very first time before I customized it with my own wallpaper, shortcuts, etc.

I have to sign out and sign back in of my user name to reaccess my customized version with front page apps/desktop etc.

Sorry I am new to Win 8 so I'm not familiar with all the new terms on what the front screen is called with all those live apps.

Any guess as to what is causing this?

Just like SpywarDoc suggested, I think the issue is caused by Windows Updates installing. But, I've already provided some info on Windows native performance tracking tools. So, you can monitor this situation on your own. Sorry, but I can't do this for you. All the same, I just don't believe you have a serious cause for concern. It just looks like normal Windows behavior.

WIFFLEBALL!

#8 PTime22

PTime22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for the information. I wanted to know if it was a faulty laptop or windows 8 potential corruption in case my warranty runs out soon for exchange. Based on what you all are saying it sounds normal goings on then.

I have not seen it occur since the last incident either so I have no further info to provide. I'll try doing Windows Update early next week and see if the issue pops up again.

#9 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Right. I certainly understand your concerns about having a new, but "out of warranty" laptop with a hardware problem, Fixes for laptops tend to be relatively expensive. I think you are OK.

WIFFLEBALL!

#10 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

x64

(edit for spelling only)

You're wrong about this. If you choose Shut down from the Power Menu the computer shuts down. Restarting by pressing the power button displays the system's splash screen and whatever BIOS or UEFI information the system would normally display such as AHCI or RAID initialization info, etc. I work with a lot of Win8 systems, and I've built 4 to date. Shut down still means exactly what it says.

Of course, you're right about delays caused by installing Windows updates when a computer reboots and that's almost certainly why PTime22 is experiencing erratic boot times. All the same, it's worth noting that Win8 includes tools to monitor and log system performance. From the Control Panel, click Performance Information and Tools, then click Advanced tools on the left side of the window, and that will give you options to view performance details in the Event Log, or open Performance Monitor for a more comprehensive and detailed view of your system's performance.

Apart from misnaming the shutdown mode, my description is pretty much there. In fact, by default the kernel gets hybernated and user sessions get restarted from scratrch. There is quite a bit on the net about it, but I cant find a simple explanation straigt from Microsoft. This goes a fair part of the way however http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users