Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop hardrive...how to get OS

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 amyl

amyl

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hello!

Im not that tech savy but I can do a little!  So bear that in mind please :)

I had to get a new hard drive for my Gateway laptop and all I can find is my old Dell Vista re-installation cd. 

I do have a desktop comp at home so I can get drivers onto USB this way.

Is there a way I can download the OS/drivers I need or do I have to buy Installation cd?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Gateway is an OEM, by definition...so any Gatewayj-provided Windows...is for that Gateway system alone.  Ditto for Dell.

You need to contact Gateway and inquire about the possibility of acquiring recovery or restore-to-factory-defaults disks.

Or buy a fully licensed version of whichever Windows you would like to install.

Louis

#3 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

So I couldn't use a working comp to find lan drivers, put on thumb drive and install on laptop?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

For drivers go here: http://support.gateway.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3142

At the top where it says:

Product Category: Notebook
Product Series: MX Series
Product Model: MX6440
[Change selected product]

Click > Change Selected Product > and enter the appropriate information for your make and model device.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thank you I will try this

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

You're quite welcome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

<<I had to get a new hard drive for my Gateway laptop and all I can find is my old Dell Vista re-installation cd. 

I do have a desktop comp at home so I can get drivers onto USB this way.

Is there a way I can download the OS/drivers I need or do I have to buy Installation cd?>>

A new hard drive...requires an install of the O/S, first and foremost.  Without such...it's pointless to worry about drivers.  Once you have a valid install of Windows...that's the time to worry about drivers.  I believe that Gateway recovery/restore disks may allow for installation of O/S and appropriate drivers.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 July 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#8 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

For drivers go here: http://support.gateway.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3142

At the top where it says:

Product Category: Notebook
Product Series: MX Series
Product Model: MX6440
[Change selected product]

Click > Change Selected Product > and enter the appropriate information for your make and model device.

What if my Product model# is not listed? MT6723 (they only have MT6700 listed). 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?partNumber=1014864R

Louis

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Or: https://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/2007/OasisSR/1014864R/1014864Rnv.shtml

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

I went & bought vista home premium new cd (cheap since I have my own product key). Put cd in for new isntallation, I get same error message "no device drivers found."

Stupid questions...(sorry)
Am I doin something wrong? Or do I have to in conjunction? Maybe bc I'm not that savvy but i thought thr installation cd would take care of it all?!

Or should I just download all the drivers listed on link provided? Idk what steps I should take & incwhat order.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

Please boot to your BIOS setup and look for restore to default settings. Make sure no other USB devices is inserted. Then go to boot priority (while Windows CD installer already inserted in cd tray) and change to CD/DVD, click Save & Exit.

Edited by jhayz, 17 July 2013 - 11:35 PM.

Tekken

#13 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

I went to change this and it was already set to CD/DVD as the priority.  I selected it and tried again and I get the same error message.

When I select browse, here are the folder options:

• Boot
  • EFI
  • Langpacks
  • sources
  • Support
  • Upgrade 

When I select any of these folders, the same error message applies.

I found this on the web to download this SATA file to USB:
SATA for Vista 32bit:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL23236/p"]ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL23236/p[/url]v-60452-1/sp37353.exe

EXE file won't show on USB on laptop.  I used 7zip to extract it and the only folder that shows on laptop is Source and all of its contents don't even show but still receive same error message.

Edited by amyl, 18 July 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Can you try using the CD disc installer on another computer? Just hit the Cancel button if it happens to pass the stalling error message "no device drivers found" when using a working computer or turn off the PC (holding the power button a couple of seconds) then once powered on, quickly go back to the BIOS section and remove the disc from there.

Tekken

#15 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

It works on diff computer.  I just hit cancel.

So don't laugh....Im thinking laptop might not recognize hard-drive I'm going to check if I installed it correctly.  If this is the issue I'm gonna feel stupid!  But hey I'm lucky I knew what a hard-drive is! :)

Edited by amyl, 18 July 2013 - 09:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users