Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dsl Problems?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chance

chance

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:43 PM

Not sure if this is where I should be, but calling my service provider produced nothing.

I'm running Windows XP home SP2 and have had Bellsouth DSL Lite since September of last year and everything has run beautifully until 5 days ago. I lose my connection/signal on DSL intermittently. Every 5 minutes or so it will go out for about 1-2 minutes. I can go a few hours and it won't happen, then go another 3 hours and it does it the whole time. I have no electronic devices near the modem to cause interference that haven't been near it the last 7 months. I can think of nothing new I've done other than download a few updates from microsoft update site for my windows and outlook, but the problems started happening around that time although I wouldn't think the updates could interfere with the signal.

Bellsouth ran their phone tests as did their tech guys with no problems detected. They said their next step is to send someone to my home if it keeps happening but I wanted to see if anyone here might have an idea as to what the problem might be before calling them back.

Moved to apropriate forum ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 18 April 2006 - 09:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

When you are online what is your speed? http://performance.toast.net/
I would bet you either have bad/old wiring or the groud has some how been disconnected from the teleco service box.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:00 PM

Yeah, it sounds like a bad connection or interference from another cable, like cable tv. (They shouldn't be run close together.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users