Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HitmanPro (v3.7.6 Build-201) Not acting as expected

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rdgizmo

rdgizmo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:40 PM

Dell XPS420 running Windows7.  Infected with DOJ malware/ransomware.  Only other computer available is a Dell Inspiron notebook with Windows VISTA.  I created the HitmanPro with Kickstart USB drive, and followed instructions to start my XPS 420 from the USB.  All goes well until I click "NEXT" to begin the scan.  I then get an error message in the KickStart (Blue Box) screen stating that it is waiting for an internet connection (DOJ has blocked the internet connection which is why I am using Kickstart).  Nothing in the info mentions a need for an internet connection being required.

It then counts down 5 minutes (by the second), and then allows a "NEXT" choice, which goes to Scan Aborted, and the "Shutting Down" which takes me to a Restart.

I have downloaded and re-created the USB thumbdrive numerous times, but nothing seems to work.

Any help or ideas.

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2013 - 12:00 PM.
Merged topics, moved to AV, Firewall from Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

Is your desktop wireless internet based or hardwired? Hitman Pro is an internet based scanning engine that needs an internet connection to work - the kickstarter program is designed to get around boot sector viruses that are problematic; but it is not of much use if your computer still doesn't get internet after it does its magic.

I would start here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Edited by AngryRaisin, 12 July 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#3 rdgizmo

rdgizmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

OK.  Computer is usually hardwired to router.  Cable was unplugged.  Now fixed.  Scan ran.

Thanks for the nudge on something to check.

#4 rdgizmo

rdgizmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

I just ran the one-time scan with KickStart as my computer is locked with the DOJ ransomware.  I tried to activate my 30-day, one-time license, and it says my license has expired!  I have never used HitmanPro or tried it before, but if it works, I will surely purchase it...  What can I do for now?

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

I just ran the one-time scan with KickStart as my computer is locked with the DOJ ransomware.  I tried to activate my 30-day, one-time license, and it says my license has expired!  I have never used HitmanPro or tried it before, but if it works, I will surely purchase it...  What can I do for now?

I would say to make a topic in Am I Infected?, detailing what version of Windows you are running,and whether you can boot into safe mode (shown how to here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/), since I have no experience with either program and why it could not be working (I'm not sure if you can do anything if the 30-day license has run out without buying it).

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

If Activate free license is not available, please check the following causes...

SurfRight HitmanPro Support

SurfRight HitmanPro Product Key and Activation Issues
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 hswillard

hswillard

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

New user to Hitman Pro also to remove FBI CC Ransomware.  When I get to USB Boot Options it says to push 1.  However I am not able to push anything.  It is like my keyboard won't work.  Any suggestions?

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

If you have a wireless keyboard, low batteries can result in weak, mixed or no signals that can affect its functionality so start by replacing them. If that does not help, confirm that the keyboard works on another machine. It is possible the keyboard could be defective. Another thing to try is to use a different keyboard on your machine or a PS2 adapter?

If the problem only happens while trying to enter safe mode:

Keep in mind that safe mode is a troubleshooting mode designed to start Windows with minimal drivers and running processes to diagnose problems with your computer. This means some of the programs and drivers that normally run when Windows starts will not run. This can include the drivers for a wireless or usb mouse and keyboard which essentially could render them non-functional. If that's the case, try changing to a keyboard with a PS2 adapter.

#9 LZ130

LZ130

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

I'm having the same keyboard failure.  Using Hitman Pro kickstart on Windows XP. When I get to the screen with three choices, I only get beeps when I press a key.  The arrow keys don't work here, either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#10 LZ130

LZ130

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

Keyboard worked on third try.  Now screen is stuck on:

HitmanPro.Kickstart Booting

MBR Read

Any idea what to do?

#11 LZ130

LZ130

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

OK, pressed the down arrow and the machine booted up.  When the Department of Justice Ransomware screen appeared, I waited and waited, but no Hitman Pro screen appeared.  I did get the "Windows has recovered form a serious error..." message.

ANyone know what to do?

#12 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

I suggest you read the following information:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

And create a thread here, explaining your malware issue (ransomware):
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

In your thread you should state your malware problem, Operating System, the bit type you are running, whether or not you have access to Safe Mode and what you've attempted to do so far.

I'm sure an expert will assist you shortly afterwards. This option is, in my opinion, superior to attempting to remove the malware present on your own.

Edited by LiquidTension, 01 October 2013 - 05:41 AM.

Posted Image

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

After doing as LiquidTension advises...If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users