Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Surge Fried Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ghi5000

ghi5000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

My system uses Windows 7 64 Bit

Recently a power surge (I suppose from a lightning strike) fried my PS3, Computer, Modem, and has been causing problems with my computer.  At first I only had problems with my onboard network being missing from the device manager.  I replaced it with a new card and can now connect to the internet,

A few days later, however, my computer crashes and displays crazy colors across the screen and eventually goes into sleep mode.  This happens anywhere between several minutes after boot to right when the computer boots.   An issue with the graphics card is the obvious problem, I removed it and I can now use the onboard graphics to use basic functions on my computer.  I have had no problems since removing my graphics card. 

Finally, I downloaded HW Monitor to see if anything was overheating.  Everything is hovering around 100F (it's 90F in the room, so I don't think this is unreasonable), but one temperature on my motherboard is at 262F (TMPIN1)!  This temperature is insane and doesn't fluctuate like the others, even right when I turn my PC on.  Just an error?

My solution is to replace the graphics card, but I'm inexperienced with hardware and am worried that something on my computer will fry the new one.  I also bought a new power supply, because the one that came with my computer (xtreme gear 600W) has came up a lot in reviews for ruining equipment.  I replaced it with a Corsair CX600.  Any other advice?  My hope was that if this does not solve my problems I can just replace the motherboard, and essentially have built an entirely new computer (assuming the RAM and hard drive are OK).

Edited by ghi5000, 11 July 2013 - 10:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

Hello, and welcome to BleepingComputer!  :welcome:

Power surges can certainly be nasty. If you in fact were using a surge protector, you may want to contact the manufacturer of it. In many cases they have astronomical insurance policies on them that can be used to replaced your damaged equipment. If you didn't have one... well I suppose you can understand when I recommend you budget out 50$ for a high end surge protector.

If you can confirm that it is the graphics card is indeed the issue by bypassing it and using the on board then that is good news in a sense. With a power surge it can be extraordinarily difficult to find out what is damaged, so keep in mind that other components could be damaged. It may be something to take into account if future problems occur. 

100F is roughly 37-38C which is a perfectly acceptable temperature. The 262F may be a malfunctioning heat sensor but if it is indeed a correct temperature then you may need to take further action to cool that down quite significantly as that's somewhere around 128C which is WAY too hot for any component in there. Poke around at your heat sinks on your board just to make sure you don't a miniature torch somewhere in your computer.

If you have replaced the PSU, then you have probably performed one of the more difficult tasks for beginners. Replacing a video card is pretty straight forward. You first remove the screws that hold the card securely to the side of the case. Then, you remove all power cables connected to the card. Finally you need to reach under the card and and pull the plastic release away from the card and pull gently on the card until it slides out of the PCI-E slot. Not all motherboards have this release but most of them do. 

You can see the plastic releases on the right end of the slots as shown in this picture:

659PCIe-s.jpg

Inserting the new graphics card is the same process in reverse. Push the card into the slot until it is firmly inside the slot and then secure the card to the case with the screws and attach the power cables. Don't forget to install the drivers afterwards!

If we are dealing with the worse case scenario and the board does fail then you can replace the board assuming the CPU is still good. If it makes you more comfortable you can download drive test utilities from your hard drives manufacture's website to test the hard drives health. Also, you can download and run Memtest+ to stress your memory and check for any damage.

Hope I helped!   :whistle:

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 12 July 2013 - 02:40 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users