Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Installed Ram

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:56 PM

Ok this is the thing. I just bought some brand new ram (oh yeah it's time now got a gig). Now the thing is when I oppened my computer up there were 4 slots (2 pairs of 2). They were all black. I am pretty sure my mobo has dualchannel. So from experience I know wich slots would be one color and wich would be the other. I put in my second stick in the 1 slot of the 2nd pair. Now when I right-click My Computer it says I got 1gig :thumbsup: What I want to know is do I have to change anything in the BIOS or anything like that to get the most out of this new stick.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

Well I know mine (like you said) has the colour coded slots. Weirdly though, slot 1 & 3 are the dual, and slot 2 & 4 are dual. When I boot up, the BIOS screen just tells me that it is running dual channel, so I didn't need to do anything. I guess if you didn't get a message, try combinations till you do, or the MB book might have the info for you...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:49 PM

You do not need to make any changes to the BIOS to run in dual channel. If you picked the right slots then when you boot up the BIOS will flash a message on the screen that dual channel is enabled.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

Yeah about those messages when computer starts up I don't get any... I just get a screen with the Pentium 4 logo and then it goes straight to the windows loading screen... how can I turn on the messages...?

#5 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:20 PM

That's in your BIOS as well I'm pretty sure. There should be an option in there where you can select whether you want to see the boot info - I did it with my old HP Pavilion....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users