Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DINPUT8.dll missing error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NR86

NR86

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hi,

I recently ran into an error saying that DINPUT8.dll was missing from my computer when trying to play a game of League of Legends off a fresh install. I had never played or installed this game prior to this or run into this error. I tried to research the error and some people suggested installing the latest video drivers to fix this. I got the latest Catalyst drivers for my ASUS g73jh with a Mobility Radeon HD 5870 graphics card. In the meantime I looked into manually replacing the DINPUT8.dll but not actually attempt to do it until another problem appeared.

I went to twitch.tv and got the error in a "chrome.exe" error box stating "The program can't start because DINPUT8.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." It's also happened on a few websites I checked out while searching for solutions. I can still watch twitch and do what I normally can on Chrome as long as I don't hit the OK button on the error, which will automatically close Chrome. In fact, it came up when I came to this page and it's sitting there in the corner right now.

I tried manually downloading and replacing the dinput8.dll file in my System32 folder and nothing changed.

I tried running CCleaner registry cleaner and fixed the issues that popped up but it didn't do anything for this problem.

I would really appreciate the help!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

This may be of interest: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/dinput8-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

Personally I think CCleaner is great for everything except utilizing registry cleaner. quietman7 as well as a procession of others have consistently

advocated against using these types of tools.

Best of Luck

Regards.........................

#3 NR86

NR86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hi sikntired. I saw that earlier and I missed some of the steps. However, I went back and did them and it didn't fix the problem. My results are in red.

Troubleshooting Steps

1. Restarted comp. Not working

2. Install the latest version of Microsoft DirectX. I tried and it said I had the latest version

3. Assuming the latest DirectX version from Microsoft doesn't fix the dinput8.dll error you're receiving, look for a DirectX installation program on your game or application CD or DVD. Usually, if a game or other program utilizes DirectX, the software developers will include a copy of DirectX on the installation disc. There was no application CD to do this with but I tried reinstalling. Uninstalling then reinstalling League of Legends didn't work. Before it installs it takes uses the same process that the Microsoft website uses to install the latest version of DirectX.

4. Uninstall the game or software program and then reinstall it again. Basically what I did in Step 3

5. Restore the dinput8.dll file from the latest DirectX software package. Since it wasn't in the latest DirectX software package I followed the part that said "Note: If you can't find the DirectX DLL you're looking for in the table below it's because the file is no longer included with Microsoft's most recent DirectX release. A number of DLLs were removed after v9.28.1886 so you might be able to find the DLL you're after in that release, which you can still download from Microsoft here." Did this and it still doesn't work.

6. Update the drivers for your video card. While it's not the most common solution, in some situations updating the drivers for the video card in your computer could correct this DirectX issue. Already did this. Did not fix the problem.

It then says:

Still Having Dinput8.dll Issues?

See Get More Help for information about contacting me on social networks or via email, posting on tech support forums, and more. Be sure to let me know the exact dinput8.dll error message that you're receiving and what steps, if any, you've already taken to resolve it.

Maybe someone can still help? I suppose I could get used to the idea of moving that error box out of the way since it doesn't affect anything else I'm doing right now that I know of except being a nuisance, but I'd like to fix it if possible.

Thanks!

#4 ElliotBath

ElliotBath

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:47 AM

Can you actually find the DINPUT8.dll file on your machine?

It's located here for me:

C:\Windows\System32\

If it's there, then open an elevated command prompt and run the following commands:

cd \
cd Windows\System32
regsvr32 dinput8.dll

This will re-register the dll file, which might not be happening with the reinstall.

Can you also provide us with your system's information?

#5 wvdaj2013

wvdaj2013

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Wow!  I having the exact same problem with a Compaq Presario C300 laptop.  I'm operating XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2.  I've also tried all of the same steps as NR86 with no luck.  Any suggestions would be great - I really enjoy using Chrome, but this is making it difficult.  

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Kind of a far reach but have you tried re-installing in ' Compatibility Mode " ?

#7 NR86

NR86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

ElliotBath,

I did what you suggested and I get an error from RegSvr32: "The module "dinput8.dll" may not be compatible with the version of windows that you're running. check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.exe."

I'm not sure what sort of system information is useful.

It is Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, 64-bit on a standard ASUS G73Jh laptop without any system modifications.

Thanks!

#8 NR86

NR86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Sikntired,

Both the Microsoft Website and League of Legends use a web installer for DirectX so I tried installing with Compatibility Mode set to Windows 7 and run as administator with the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer. I got the following errors.

DirectX Setup
An internal system error occured.
Please refer to DXError.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder to determine the problem.

Then says Installation Failed.

DXError.log says

[07/12/13 07:54:03] module: DXWSetup(Mar 30 2011), file: psheets.cpp, line: 705, function: PreinstDlgProc

CDXWSetup::InitInstallEngine() failed.

Thanks!

#9 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

On a 64-bit version of a Windows operating system, there are two versions of the Regsv32.exe file:

ElliotBath may have offered part of solution.

• The 64-bit version is %systemroot%\System32\regsvr32.exe.
  • The 32-bit version is %systemroot%\SysWoW64\regsvr32.exe.

Try using 64 bit in elevated cmd prompt adding DINPUT8.dll.

Maybe someone will come along and offer the solution.

Regards.............                                                                                                                                   

Edited by sikntired, 12 July 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#10 NR86

NR86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

Sikntired,

Yes I tried both. I did the one in System32 first multiple times and always got that error. It seemed counterintuitive that the 64 bit version would be in the System32 folde and the 32 bit would be in SysWOW64 folder and thought maybe whoever wrote the article I was mistaken. So I tried the other one too. Same error.

Thanks,

Nick

#11 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hi NR86,

Came upon this and don't know if you've seen or not so thought it would be informative:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-us/baed2d01-c964-43c3-975b-e1f03192683e/the-program-cant-start-because-dinput8dll-is-missing-from-your-computer

Hope this may aid in resolution.

Regards..............

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

I would recommend getting DirectX straight from Microsoft...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

Edited by jwoods301, 13 June 2017 - 12:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users