Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD many times daily, questionable boots & errors? on recently fresh install!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SeaSpur

SeaSpur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Okay, I am not sure where to start with this.

Computer is a HP model p6510f.

About 6 months ago (after owning for almost 2 years), I got a BSOD and could barely get the computer to start up. After a lot of work, boot discs, etc I was able to save some files. I thought (and friends agreed) the hard drive failed.

So I replaced it and while in the process, added 2 more sticks of 2GB RAM for 2x2x2x2. I did a fresh install of Win7 as well from ISO discs I downloaded (I think) from here or a link from here.

Well, for the past 4-6 months...I get BSOD many times a day, depending on usage. I have very little installed on the computer: MSE, MSOffice, Adobe Creative Suite, Malwarebytes, Spotify, uTorrent and Chrome.

I have tried everything I can think of:

- remove 2 new sticks of memory

- another fresh install of Win7

- reinstall and install Chrome, Microsoft Security Essentials

- updated BIOS from HP

I get multiple different BSOD errors as well...although I haven't recorded them all. Not only that, but sometimes the computer acts differently after a BSOD:

(these are all individual different scenarios that happen- never the same for some reason)

1. boot up just fine

2. pc turns on but doesn't activate monitor

3. pc turns on and so does monitor, but no display...only a light beep every 4-5 seconds

4. a message that the  "bootmgr has failed"

5. boot up then BSOD after a few minutes

6. asks me to try System Repair, which doesn't work...although a chdsk /r from CMD option has got me going a couple of times when all seemed lost

7. a combination of the 6

I am going crazy at this point and have no clue what to do. I would consider myself pretty advanced on computers so I am willing to try anything you guys on here want to throw at me.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by SeaSpur, 11 July 2013 - 06:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hi

:welcome:  to the BC forum.

From the descriptions you provided, i suspect either one of your memory module (preferable the old ones ) or one of your motherboard slot might be faulty. Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Remove all the RAM modules and plug a new module to the first slot.

:step2: Use the free tool Memtest86+ to thoroughly test the module 

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

You should run at least 7 or more passes for an accurate result.If you are getting any red lines or errors in the errors column , that module might be faulty.

:step3: Repeat the test with the second new  module. If both modules passes the test, test the second memory slot with one of the new module. This process is very time consuming so requires patience.

If that second slot is also okay, boot the system with only the two new modules plugged and check how the system works now. Don't use the old modules as mixing old and new may result in compatibility problems. 

Report your findings in next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 12 July 2013 - 12:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users