Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System won't power on even to bios

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 db600

db600

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

I have an AMD Athalon64x2 3800+ on Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H motherboard and Win XP Home. The system worked OK yesterday and this AM will not power up even to the bios. It does present the Gigabyte page but does not allow me to chose bios, setup, boot menu, etc,  seems to freeze just before this. There is one beep as it starts to power on then nothing. The monitor is on. I have unplugged all extra cables and even removed the wireless keyboard/mouse for wired versions. I have tried to load a floppy with Memtest - won't load. Tried the Gigabyte  initial CD -  no load. I believe that there may have been a  MS update last night(there was for Win7) and I assume an auto reboot if there were updates. I use MS Security Suite as regular virus protection and often run Malwarebytes and have not seen any warnings or actions lately.

What can I do now????

Thanks, Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by Gigabyte page but assume it's a cmos/bios logo.

You can go here to see if any of the beep codes match your issue for the MB.  "http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm"

It sound like your power supply is still working and that you are able to open and close CD/DVD drives. So if your lucky it's just RAM or a PCI card that needs to be reseated. Hopefully your MB isn't damaged or dying.

#3 db600

db600
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

After removing every thing that could be removed including video card, keyboard, mouse, optical drives, memory and hard drive, then putting them back in one at a time I was able to track it down to one of the optical drives. Removed that drive and AOK.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Glad you got it figured out.  I posted here last night about midnight, but for whatever reason....no post shows up.  To be fair, it would not have been much help anyway.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

After removing every thing that could be removed including video card, keyboard, mouse, optical drives, memory and hard drive, then putting them back in one at a time I was able to track it down to one of the optical drives. Removed that drive and AOK.

Excellent! Best of luck to you.

Zen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users